Replacement sand filter

philc

Jul 6, 2015
Grand Island Nebraska
I am considering replacing, rather than repairing my very used ( but new to me this spring) doughboy sand filter. This what I have for a pool and pump: Intex 22' X 52" AG , Dohney 1.5 HP pump.
I am throwing open the door and asking for filter recommendations ( size and brand). Please include in your comments why you like ( or dislike) your filter. Also does size matter? Can a filter be too big??

Again I apologize for taking so long to get back to you all regarding my pump's particulars. I have put more info into my signature. From what I have gleaned from this site my filter is too small for my pump. The pump is a lot of pump but I like the whirlpool effect. My filter is old and has seen better days. Please share your pearls of wisdom with me. Many thanks!:bowdown:

If you like the big pump, get a sand filter to match the flow of the pump. Generally, A good match is about 25% in excess of your pumps flow. A rough guess for your pump flow would be maybe 70 gpm so a filer with a 100 gpm rating would be pretty close. You have a fairly broad range but, given a choice, go with a larger filter rather than small than the 100 gpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.