Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement sand filter

I am considering replacing, rather than repairing my very used ( but new to me this spring) doughboy sand filter. This what I have for a pool and pump: Intex 22' X 52" AG , Dohney 1.5 HP pump.
    I am throwing open the door and asking for filter recommendations ( size and brand). Please include in your comments why you like ( or dislike) your filter. Also does size matter? Can a filter be too big??
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Replacement sand filter

On your pump label, there should be a Service Factor listed (SF) Something like 1.0 or close. Can you tell us that so we can suggest a good match between pump and filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry for the delay, as have been out of town. The service factor is 1.0 the maximum flow rate of the pump is 83 gallons/ minute. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

4. Back To Top    #4

Again I apologize for taking so long to get back to you all regarding my pump's particulars. I have put more info into my signature. From what I have gleaned from this site my filter is too small for my pump. The pump is a lot of pump but I like the whirlpool effect. My filter is old and has seen better days. Please share your pearls of wisdom with me. Many thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you like the big pump, get a sand filter to match the flow of the pump. Generally, A good match is about 25% in excess of your pumps flow. A rough guess for your pump flow would be maybe 70 gpm so a filer with a 100 gpm rating would be pretty close. You have a fairly broad range but, given a choice, go with a larger filter rather than small than the 100 gpm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Many thanks