First time pool owner, just put up pool.. Need advice on CYA and bleach!!

Hey everyone,

So after a long weekend, we finally have our pool put up! YAY!!:D The kids are so excited! We finished filling today, we had a truck bring in most of the water, but added a little of our well water in the beginning, to get the wrinkles out. We also have an intex SWG, I have not tested the water yet (i plan on it, it just seems so intimidating. i have the taylor k2006 kit) Also, I know I need to add CYA. I'm not sure how much to add, also I've read some add it in front of return others in the skimmer in a sock? So which is it?
I should mention that we did add our salt into the pool and it has now dissolved, except for a few bigger pieces here and there. I'm wondering, can i go ahead and turn on my SWG, the manual says to wait until salt dissolves, and something about it taking 24 hours? And should i add bleach to the pool as well? If so how much, our pool is about 13,000 gals, (less than what sig says).

Thanks for your help!!

Congrats! A few notes & links to get you started:
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
- To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust. Shoot for the recommended CYA of 70 with a SWG system.

Until your SWG cranks-up and generates at normal operating capacity, be prepared to add enough liquid bleach to get your FC to 4-5 ppm. This might disappear quick during the day until your CYA builds and the SWG sustains operations on its own.

Always remember to use these links:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Hopefully this will help you get started, Enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and please start using your K-2006 test kit! It's a great tool, and the sooner you get familiar with it and post your own numbers the better. Don't be shy. You'll get it.

Brush that salt and help it to dissolve faster. Add 5 ppm FC with bleach till you can get it running. Add about a pound at a time of CYA in a knee high (tied) in the skimmer if your prefer. Don't choke down the suction!

Thanks for the info!!

So i tested the water not long ago, and here are the results.

FC-4.5
CC-0 ? is that possible?
PH-7.2
TA-90
CH-60

CYA i will test Tues of next week, I added about 5 lbs. yesterday (Tues), I 'm pretty sure i need to add more.
I think i need to raise PH a bit and lower TA? right? how would i do that? Baking soda for PH?
and looks like we have 13,200 gals, I'll go change my sig.

Thanks for any help!! Water is looking fabulous and i want to keep it that way!
Oh one more thing, how long does everyone usually run their SWG for this size pool?

Not only is CC of 0 possible, it's desirable. A healthy pool will have a CC of .5 or 0.

I wouldn't touch your TA and PH. They too are almost perfect. With splashing, rain, etc, the PH will rise on its own.

I'm still dialing in my SWG. I was at 75% production for 12 hours a day and I was losing ground. I recently just slowed my pump down to about 1700 RPM and am running 24 hours now to make sure my SWG production keeps up. If I find I'm gaining, I'll start backing off the pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.