Vinyl to Gunite?

ljann

Aug 1, 2015
North Florida
Anyone have experience converting a vinyl lined pool to gunite? I'm aware you can do fiberglass too but that really decreases the size from what I understand. Saw a roundabout online that it would be 20-30k to fill in the existing walls with gunite.. at that point just get a new pool! Any help appreciated!

Why? Just curious as I honestly don't know the benefits of gunite over vinyl. All I know is that gunite pools have to be resurfaced about the same interval as replacing a liner and the costs are comparable.

you basically would almost be building a new pool from scratch. The existing pool walls would need to come out. the concrete footer hammered out. At least a couple feet of the existing deck all around would need to be cut out to maintain at minimum same size pool. Maybe more of the deck might need to come out. Depending on if it could all be bonded properly or not and other things that Im not thinking about off top of my head. New Skimmer required and existing plumbing extended to penetrate the gunite. Then install steel, gunite, coping, tile and plaster. The only thing you would be saving, is any significant amount of existing deck.

Anyone have experience converting a vinyl lined pool to gunite? I'm aware you can do fiberglass too but that really decreases the size from what I understand. Saw a roundabout online that it would be 20-30k to fill in the existing walls with gunite.. at that point just get a new pool! Any help appreciated!

Thanks Dave, thats what I was afraid of!

My reason for asking is that we looked at a house to buy with an existing vinyl lined pool. I'm aware it really does have its upsides but I have two dogs that I don't want to worry about scratching or tearing it up if they decide to hop in!

My Mom just finished up a vinyl liner pool and has 2 mini dachshunds. They are crazy! They seem scared when the kids jump into the pool. One fell in the other day, so Mom is teaching them to enter and exit with the fiberglass step, and not try to claw at the sides. Working so far!

Why? Just curious as I honestly don't know the benefits of gunite over vinyl. All I know is that gunite pools have to be resurfaced about the same interval as replacing a liner and the costs are comparable.

Not to hijack a thread with a side comment but I don't believe this statement above is correct. See this article - PoolSchool - Pool Surfaces

Vinyl (depending on size and shape complexity) is typically less expensive to replace than a plaster job of similar size. As well, plaster surfaces, if properly maintained and free of physical damage, can last 15 years or more. Obviously a properly maintained and cared-for vinyl liner can definitely outlive its warranty as well, but a plaster surface is much more resilient to accidental physical damage. Therefore assuming the same maintenance I'd be willing to bet a plaster surface would outlive a vinyl liner every time.

I think the real determinant of surface type to choose is the environment you live in. Out here in the West, most every pool I have seen is plaster/gunite. Especially down here in AZ vinyl just can't handle the intense UV. Back East (where I grew up) almost every pool I ever swam in (except for public pools) were vinyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you found incorrect? The lifetime costs of owning a gunite pool are higher. Yes you may have to replace vinyl sooner but you can replace vinyl 3 times for the cost of one replaster job. Most vinyl liners will last 15 years...you'll definitely replace plaster more often than every 45 years.

Now your info about UV is of interest and that may very well be a factor when determining surface. And as I posted I don't know why one would choose gunite over vinyl in the same configuration pool. So you enlightened me on the UV aspect but the cost aspect I stand by my original post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.