Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl to Gunite?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl to Gunite?

Anyone have experience converting a vinyl lined pool to gunite? I'm aware you can do fiberglass too but that really decreases the size from what I understand. Saw a roundabout online that it would be 20-30k to fill in the existing walls with gunite.. at that point just get a new pool! Any help appreciated!
    Living the life in Northern Florida

Dreaming of our future pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl to Gunite?

Why? Just curious as I honestly don't know the benefits of gunite over vinyl. All I know is that gunite pools have to be resurfaced about the same interval as replacing a liner and the costs are comparable.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

you basically would almost be building a new pool from scratch. The existing pool walls would need to come out. the concrete footer hammered out. At least a couple feet of the existing deck all around would need to be cut out to maintain at minimum same size pool. Maybe more of the deck might need to come out. Depending on if it could all be bonded properly or not and other things that Im not thinking about off top of my head. New Skimmer required and existing plumbing extended to penetrate the gunite. Then install steel, gunite, coping, tile and plaster. The only thing you would be saving, is any significant amount of existing deck.

Quote Originally Posted by ljann View Post
    Anyone have experience converting a vinyl lined pool to gunite? I'm aware you can do fiberglass too but that really decreases the size from what I understand. Saw a roundabout online that it would be 20-30k to fill in the existing walls with gunite.. at that point just get a new pool! Any help appreciated!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Dave, thats what I was afraid of!

My reason for asking is that we looked at a house to buy with an existing vinyl lined pool. I'm aware it really does have its upsides but I have two dogs that I don't want to worry about scratching or tearing it up if they decide to hop in!
    Living the life in Northern Florida

Dreaming of our future pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I have two dogs that I don't want to worry about scratching or tearing it up if they decide to hop in!
    That's not an issue. Lots of us have dogs in our vinyl pools daily.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

My Mom just finished up a vinyl liner pool and has 2 mini dachshunds. They are crazy! They seem scared when the kids jump into the pool. One fell in the other day, so Mom is teaching them to enter and exit with the fiberglass step, and not try to claw at the sides. Working so far!
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Dittos on the dogs not being a problem.

Have had schnauzers for years and while they paddle to edge sometimes, they have never hurt liner. Over time they learned what the steps are for
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Why? Just curious as I honestly don't know the benefits of gunite over vinyl. All I know is that gunite pools have to be resurfaced about the same interval as replacing a liner and the costs are comparable.
    Not to hijack a thread with a side comment but I don't believe this statement above is correct. See this article - PoolSchool - Pool Surfaces

Vinyl (depending on size and shape complexity) is typically less expensive to replace than a plaster job of similar size. As well, plaster surfaces, if properly maintained and free of physical damage, can last 15 years or more. Obviously a properly maintained and cared-for vinyl liner can definitely outlive its warranty as well, but a plaster surface is much more resilient to accidental physical damage. Therefore assuming the same maintenance I'd be willing to bet a plaster surface would outlive a vinyl liner every time.

I think the real determinant of surface type to choose is the environment you live in. Out here in the West, most every pool I have seen is plaster/gunite. Especially down here in AZ vinyl just can't handle the intense UV. Back East (where I grew up) almost every pool I ever swam in (except for public pools) were vinyl.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure what you found incorrect? The lifetime costs of owning a gunite pool are higher. Yes you may have to replace vinyl sooner but you can replace vinyl 3 times for the cost of one replaster job. Most vinyl liners will last 15 years...you'll definitely replace plaster more often than every 45 years.

Now your info about UV is of interest and that may very well be a factor when determining surface. And as I posted I don't know why one would choose gunite over vinyl in the same configuration pool. So you enlightened me on the UV aspect but the cost aspect I stand by my original post.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter