Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PoolRX

1. Back To Top    #1

Boca Ratron, Florida

I have maintained my pool for 15 years with no algae problem, except when I was occasionally lazy with maintenance. The pool sipped chlorine. This year, I had a garden of algae, uncontrollable. Lowered phosphate, no real effect. Chewing up 4 gallons of chlorine a week, plus tablets. Just added PoolRX 1 week ago based on the recommendation of a friend. Chlorine consumption has stabilized, so far so good.
    15x30 rounded rectangle in ground built in 1964, reshaped and resurfaced in 2002, cleaned by Kleen Machine, chlorinated by the old fashioned way by me.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Eastern Ohio

Re: PoolRX

I would HIGHLY suggest staying away from any metal based product like PoolRX is. This will in short time add silver, copper, and zinc to the pool which will likely result in greenish hair and stains on your walls. The cons greatly outweigh the pro's with this product. Stick with using the proper amount of Chlorine for your pool, and you will maintain a clear pool with little expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: PoolRX

Well it didn't take long. See Copper Algaecide Mistake where copper added to a pool already is resulting in staining. And this was in a vinyl pool where staining doesn't normally occur and in fact the staining isn't on the vinyl but on the white fiberglass steps. In your plaster pool, the staining can be on the plaster and copper stains can be particularly difficult to remove, especially if you don't catch them right away. Don't say we didn't warn you.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"