Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Soundproofing with planter boxes to reduce pump noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Soundproofing with planter boxes to reduce pump noise

Split from Soundproofing to reduce pump noise Zea3

I'm working around the same problem (noisy pump with neighbors) and just had an idea. I've been looking around the net and it seems that a lot of professional noise solutions don't bother putting lids on their "boxes" because once sound starts going up, it keeps going up (and not toward your neighbors). The problem with most of the solutions are that they recommend their fancy noiseproofing materiels that cost like $350 for a panel. Anyway, so here's my idea: Planter boxes. Isn't dirt a pretty good sound dampener? So why not make some narrow planter boxes that will surround your pump (with some clever through-holes for plumbing), and get some flowers out of the deal?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Soundproofing with planter boxes to reduce pump noise

Hello NeuPool and welcome to TFP.

I had to go back and read the link provided to see why this thread was split and it seems as though you posted to a very old thread.

Regardless, I'd like to welcome you and hope you figure out your noisy pump deal with the neighbors.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

Your idea should work. If your pump is that noisy it may be time to invest in one of the newer quieter pumps.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4
    Amelia Island, FL

Depending on the distance from the planter to the equipment pad, this should work rather well.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.