Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter gauge replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter gauge replacement

So I'm finally getting around to replace my broken pressure gauge on my sand filter but I've run into an issue... getting the old one off. It doesn't appear to turn at all and I don't want to break anything else.

I'm attaching some pictures in the hopes that someone might have an idea.

I also don't know what kind of sand filter it is (it was given to me by the same person who game me the pool) so I was also hoping maybe someone would recognize it and could point me in the right direction for what kind of gauge I should buy.

Thanks!
    7600 gallons AG. Hayward Sand filter. Taylor k-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter gauge replacement

It will screw off. In the first picture you see a square metal area just behind the gauge dial. You can out a wrench on that and turn it counter clockwise looking at the top of the gauge (Right to left in the picture).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am new to a pool to but looks as if it is a Jacuzzi sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello and welcome to TFP,

The nut you see on the back of the gauge, where it threads into top of filter. Put a wrench on that and turn counter clockwise, it might be tight at first, but should come loose. If you have to put a 5 foot cheater bar on it, then stop !

Seriously though it should, it should break loose and unscrew from filter.

If you haven't already bought a replacement, I recommend the one that TFtestkit sells, It's the perfect gauge and priced right. As far as brand of filter, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people to answer.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to put a little pipe thread on the replacement gauge
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

What Lefty said
    I just got a new gauge from TFtestkit's when i ordered some regents, It's much better quality the the old gauge it replaced, it's bigger as well as is glycerin-filled.
    TFTestkits.net
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lefty51 View Post
    Hello and welcome to TFP,

The nut you see on the back of the gauge, where it threads into top of filter. Put a wrench on that and turn counter clockwise, it might be tight at first, but should come loose. If you have to put a 5 foot cheater bar on it, then stop !

Seriously though it should, it should break loose and unscrew from filter.

If you haven't already bought a replacement, I recommend the one that TFtestkit sells, It's the perfect gauge and priced right. As far as brand of filter, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people to answer.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget to put a little pipe thread on the replacement gauge

Thanks so much! Quick question before I do this, will I need to put the filter to "close" or anything like that?
    7600 gallons AG. Hayward Sand filter. Taylor k-2006.

7. Back To Top    #7

No, just make sure pump isn't running at the time, it would be like plugging a dike
    Last edited by lefty51; 08-04-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir