Best month to open my pool

lartay

May 3, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
I'm considering opening my in ground pool within the next few weeks before the green stuff gets a chance to grow. Current temps are highs in the 50s and 60s with lows in the 40s and 50s. It does not appear that we will have any more hard freezes below 30. I live in NW Arkansas. Any advice? When do most folks open their pools in the south? I have usually opened in May and have to fight algae for two weeks.

Here in NC I'm already starting to see some algae creeping up and am having to turn people's SWG's back on. I'm starting to make phone calls this week. We're at about the same temp, but we ran a bit of a fever a few weeks back (highs around 80) and I think that's what got things going.

Instead of air temperature, you might look at water temp to decide when to open the pool. Algae growth is really low below a water temp of 50 degrees so if you open before 50, you will probably catch it in time.

We are in the process of opening our up now. We did have an algae bloom a month or so ago but I think it was because of all the leaves in the pool this year. Once I got those out ( more are in there now though :roll: :shock: ) and poured a bottle of bleach in it was clear in a day or so.

I did do a water test 2 weeks or so and we will need to top off our CYA as it dropped during the winter. Other than that we are eager to get going this year !!

This will be our 2nd complete swim season on the BBB method and it has been so much easier $$$ wise and nerve wise !!

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm already thinking of opening mine. :mrgreen: I say go for it, it will be warmer where you are sooner than here! :goodjob:

You and me both! I am getting so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

me too (in ohio)...I'm thinking end of the month during spring break. My son asks everyday "can we swim today"

chris

One thing that I am holding off on is this...I would like to open up but we can still get some killer cold snaps in March and April...it would not be too uncommon to hit the low 20s at night in the early parts of April...Also...what do people do with the maple seeds (helicopters) in mid to late May...do you just let them fall and clean up as it comes..or do people put leaf nets on pools until after that period. I had a huge problem with them last year. What a mess.

I have a huge pin oak that lets these fuzzy strings loose in May and I just deal with it. If I run my pump through the day, I have DH empty the skimmer basket every few hours until I can tend with it. That's all he has to do, I do the rest.

I'd rather look at the crystal clear water than a black cover any day, even if it is too cold to swim. 8)

I will probably take off our cover mid April and hook r' up. :mrgreen: CAN'T WAIT!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm already thinking of opening mine. :mrgreen: I say go for it, it will be warmer where you are sooner than here! :goodjob:

I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I opened mine last Tuesday!! It's been 50's or so but we cranked the heat to 85-88 and have been enjoying it.

We just had it put in last fall so we couldn't wait to get more use out of it. It helps that we have an auto-cover to help keep the heat in.

cubbybeave08 said:
One thing that I am holding off on is this...I would like to open up but we can still get some killer cold snaps in March and April...it would not be too uncommon to hit the low 20s at night in the early parts of April...Also...what do people do with the maple seeds (helicopters) in mid to late May...do you just let them fall and clean up as it comes..or do people put leaf nets on pools until after that period. I had a huge problem with them last year. What a mess.

We have a huge problem with maple seeds as well. Last year I just skimmed them out religiously. This year, I'm considering putting my solar cover on under my mesh safety cover and trying that. I'm just not sure how effective the solar will be that way...

robrinker said:
. This year, I'm considering putting my solar cover on under my mesh safety cover and trying that. I'm just not sure how effective the solar will be that way...

That's what I did last weekend. I'm curious to see if it helps any. I opened mine about 3/15 last year. That was my first year of opening it. All of the oak things hit in early April. I promised myself last year that I wasn't going to take the mesh cover off for good until after tax day. I have the SWG going at about 50% for 2 hrs per day now, and that's all I'm doing.

I checked my water yesterday.
FC : 2
CC : .5
CYA : 30
Temp 50

My water is still below the skimmer, the cover still on. To stop the algea from getting out of hand before opening, I slipped a floater under the cover with 3 pucks set on slow release.

Hopefully this will be OK until next month. The CYA would come up some, but since I have to add more water anyway.....

What are your thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts on this?

Good Morning!

Probably fine. My only concern might be the release of concentrated chlorine in an uncirculated pool. I doubt that it will have any adverse affect but I would check in the first few days for any sign of bleaching.

If I used a cover, I think I would do the same thing except I might use Clorox because it disperses in the pool more easily.

dayhiker said:
robrinker said:
. This year, I'm considering putting my solar cover on under my mesh safety cover and trying that. I'm just not sure how effective the solar will be that way...

That's what I did last weekend. I'm curious to see if it helps any. I opened mine about 3/15 last year. That was my first year of opening it. All of the oak things hit in early April. I promised myself last year that I wasn't going to take the mesh cover off for good until after tax day. I have the SWG going at about 50% for 2 hrs per day now, and that's all I'm doing.

I bought a poolskim and it was the best thing I ever did. I get bombarded with the helicopters all summer. It sucks them right up. I rarely have to skim.

ETA: Last year I was open in early April because I had to get a new liner. I bought the poolskim in May, I believe. It makes a HUGE difference with the helicopters and leaves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.