Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best month to open my pool

Best month to open my pool

I'm considering opening my in ground pool within the next few weeks before the green stuff gets a chance to grow. Current temps are highs in the 50s and 60s with lows in the 40s and 50s. It does not appear that we will have any more hard freezes below 30. I live in NW Arkansas. Any advice? When do most folks open their pools in the south? I have usually opened in May and have to fight algae for two weeks.
    lartay

Re: Best month to open my pool

Here in NC I'm already starting to see some algae creeping up and am having to turn people's SWG's back on. I'm starting to make phone calls this week. We're at about the same temp, but we ran a bit of a fever a few weeks back (highs around 80) and I think that's what got things going.

Instead of air temperature, you might look at water temp to decide when to open the pool. Algae growth is really low below a water temp of 50 degrees so if you open before 50, you will probably catch it in time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

I'm already thinking of opening mine. I say go for it, it will be warmer where you are sooner than here!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

We are in the process of opening our up now. We did have an algae bloom a month or so ago but I think it was because of all the leaves in the pool this year. Once I got those out ( more are in there now though ) and poured a bottle of bleach in it was clear in a day or so.

I did do a water test 2 weeks or so and we will need to top off our CYA as it dropped during the winter. Other than that we are eager to get going this year !!

This will be our 2nd complete swim season on the BBB method and it has been so much easier $$$ wise and nerve wise !!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I'm already thinking of opening mine. I say go for it, it will be warmer where you are sooner than here!
    You and me both! I am getting so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ❄Closed❄
    24' Sharkline
    Solid Cover
    ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄

me too (in ohio)...I'm thinking end of the month during spring break. My son asks everyday "can we swim today"

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

One thing that I am holding off on is this...I would like to open up but we can still get some killer cold snaps in March and April...it would not be too uncommon to hit the low 20s at night in the early parts of April...Also...what do people do with the maple seeds (helicopters) in mid to late May...do you just let them fall and clean up as it comes..or do people put leaf nets on pools until after that period. I had a huge problem with them last year. What a mess.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

I have a huge pin oak that lets these fuzzy strings loose in May and I just deal with it. If I run my pump through the day, I have DH empty the skimmer basket every few hours until I can tend with it. That's all he has to do, I do the rest.

I'd rather look at the crystal clear water than a black cover any day, even if it is too cold to swim. 8)

I will probably take off our cover mid April and hook r' up. CAN'T WAIT!
    ❄Closed❄
    24' Sharkline
    Solid Cover
    ❄⛄❄⛄❄⛄❄

I get the fuzzy things too, and the poplar pods. PITA!

I opened late April last year, was too early. I'm going to open mid May this year.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I opened mine last Tuesday!! It's been 50's or so but we cranked the heat to 85-88 and have been enjoying it.

We just had it put in last fall so we couldn't wait to get more use out of it. It helps that we have an auto-cover to help keep the heat in.
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

Senior Member In the Industry

mnb,

Welcome!
    I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I opened mine last Tuesday!! It's been 50's or so but we cranked the heat to 85-88 and have been enjoying it.
    Wow! That's pretty close to a giant hot tub!! I am jealous!
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    mnb,

Welcome!
    Wow! That's pretty close to a giant hot tub!! I am jealous!
    Thanks. I guess it is pretty much a giant hot tub at this point.

You should see the steam rising when we have the cover off!
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    One thing that I am holding off on is this...I would like to open up but we can still get some killer cold snaps in March and April...it would not be too uncommon to hit the low 20s at night in the early parts of April...Also...what do people do with the maple seeds (helicopters) in mid to late May...do you just let them fall and clean up as it comes..or do people put leaf nets on pools until after that period. I had a huge problem with them last year. What a mess.
    We have a huge problem with maple seeds as well. Last year I just skimmed them out religiously. This year, I'm considering putting my solar cover on under my mesh safety cover and trying that. I'm just not sure how effective the solar will be that way...
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

I would say mid May would be a safe bet to open. Enjoy! 8)
    Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree MAILBOX- http://www.xtremelytropical.com -- Get your mail delivered in the "tropics" and create your own backyard tropical oasis with your own artificial palm trees!

Quote Originally Posted by robrinker
    . This year, I'm considering putting my solar cover on under my mesh safety cover and trying that. I'm just not sure how effective the solar will be that way...
    That's what I did last weekend. I'm curious to see if it helps any. I opened mine about 3/15 last year. That was my first year of opening it. All of the oak things hit in early April. I promised myself last year that I wasn't going to take the mesh cover off for good until after tax day. I have the SWG going at about 50% for 2 hrs per day now, and that's all I'm doing.
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

I checked my water yesterday.
    FC : 2
    CC : .5
    CYA : 30
    Temp 50

My water is still below the skimmer, the cover still on. To stop the algea from getting out of hand before opening, I slipped a floater under the cover with 3 pucks set on slow release.

Hopefully this will be OK until next month. The CYA would come up some, but since I have to add more water anyway.....

What are your thoughts on this?
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

Senior Member In the Industry

What are your thoughts on this?
    Good Morning!

Probably fine. My only concern might be the release of concentrated chlorine in an uncirculated pool. I doubt that it will have any adverse affect but I would check in the first few days for any sign of bleaching.

If I used a cover, I think I would do the same thing except I might use Clorox because it disperses in the pool more easily.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker
    Quote Originally Posted by robrinker
    . This year, I'm considering putting my solar cover on under my mesh safety cover and trying that. I'm just not sure how effective the solar will be that way...
    That's what I did last weekend. I'm curious to see if it helps any. I opened mine about 3/15 last year. That was my first year of opening it. All of the oak things hit in early April. I promised myself last year that I wasn't going to take the mesh cover off for good until after tax day. I have the SWG going at about 50% for 2 hrs per day now, and that's all I'm doing.
    I bought a poolskim and it was the best thing I ever did. I get bombarded with the helicopters all summer. It sucks them right up. I rarely have to skim.

ETA: Last year I was open in early April because I had to get a new liner. I bought the poolskim in May, I believe. It makes a HUGE difference with the helicopters and leaves.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump
    75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator

Okay, I went out and bought a submersible pump yesterday and am currently draining the 2,000 gallons of rainwater off my cover....

Can't wait for warm weather!!!!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com