Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater crapping out, should I try and fix or replace???

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater crapping out, should I try and fix or replace???

TFP'ers,
    I just bought the house with pool/spa and it has a Jandy LITE2 heater. The first day, it heated up the spa great. Since then, it will only heat up to about 94 degrees. Some photos here: https://goo.gl/photos/hKm9CKKw9spLkotNA.

Any ideas on whether this is something that can be fixed, or should I look to replace it all together? If replace, any recommendations on a heater that would fit into same area and with same pipes?

Thanks!

McLovin
    Thanks,
    McLovin

12,500 gal, In ground, salt water, gunite/pebble, Jandy CL580 pool/spa filter, aqua pure PLC1400, Jandy LITE 2 heater, Aqualink RS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater crapping out, should I try and fix or replace???

It sounds like the thermostat isn't working correctly. From your pictures it looks like the thermostats are the same for the pool & spa. Maybe you can swap them. If that fixes the problem you can see if a new thermostat is available & at what cost.

I'm in a similar situation with my 20 year old Hayward heater, water gets too hot. The supports for the burner are very rusty so I'll probably replace the heater next year. I like that most of the new heaters have a digital thermostat.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Mice heater Mike. You have dual thermostats so have you tried both to see if 94 is how high the temps will go? If not, probably the temp sensor is defective.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You can measure the resistance on the temp sensor and that would tell you what is wrong. No the same heater as yours but if you look at the page where it talks about Thermistor Test using an ohm meter is what you want.

http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/...ds/l/l0858.pdf
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, thanks guys. I'll give those suggestions a try. I was looking online to figure out what a replacement heater would be and cost. I found that the Jandy Legacy LRZ Pool Heater would be it. Do you guys agree? And any recommendations on where to get it cheapest (I found that on Pool Supplies Unlimited), or if I should consider a different brand?

Thanks for the help.

McLovin
    Thanks,
    McLovin

12,500 gal, In ground, salt water, gunite/pebble, Jandy CL580 pool/spa filter, aqua pure PLC1400, Jandy LITE 2 heater, Aqualink RS

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by MCLOVIN View Post
    OK, thanks guys. I'll give those suggestions a try. I was looking online to figure out what a replacement heater would be and cost. I found that the Jandy Legacy LRZ Pool Heater would be it. Do you guys agree? And any recommendations on where to get it cheapest (I found that on Pool Supplies Unlimited), or if I should consider a different brand?

Thanks for the help.

McLovin
    I respectfully disagree on your choice for a new heater. If you want a good unit with less cost of ownership, Raypak. They get very good reviews on here as well.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks - I'll look at Raypak for sure.
    Thanks,
    McLovin