Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New inground: Solar cover reel question for kidney / mountain lake style pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New inground: Solar cover reel question for kidney / mountain lake style pool

Hey guys!

I have a new inground pool and I need some advise on installing the solar cover. The pool is a humpback kidney or a mountain lake style pool. It is 41 feet in length 25 wide in shallow end and 18 feet wide in the deep end. I was thinking that I should use two solar covers and two reels that are end to end (or one cover cut in half). Each reel is 21 feet long and the two reels would take the total length of the pool, covering the pool across. The other option was to use one reel and cover the length of the pool at 21 feet wide and hand place the small 4 foot section of the solar cover and have just the one reel to deal with. This seems like a better option to me?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks so much!
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New inground: Solar cover reel question for kidney / mountain lake style pool

I can't help but if you posted pics of your pool I'm sure someone here will be happy to help you spend your money!!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New inground: Solar cover reel question for kidney / mountain lake style pool

I have a kidney shaped pool I use 3 pieces. One runs the length covers 85%, then 2 smaller pieces 10% and 5%. The smaller pieces are hand manageable.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Mountain Pond. I have one reel that is at the widest point. I have to fold in some parts of it prior to rolling it up.

Another option is a product called Solar Roller. Amazon.com : SOLAR ROLLER Freeform Solar Pool Cover Reel - Rolls Solar Covers in Sections Like Pieces of a Puzzle - For Inground Garden

Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820