Blue Stains on a "new" pentair pump I bought on ebay

Aug 4, 2015
columbus/ohio
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a pool and was hoping to get a little advice from some experts here. I just bought a pentair 011522 whisperlo pool pump on ebay and I have a question about it. I bought it from a seller listing it as "new" and paid close to retail, and when I received the pump it looks ok, but there is some blue and purple staining on it. If I hook it up and use it that may prevent me from doing a return, so I wanted to check first to see what these stains may be from. Is it some type of sealant or are the stains a clear sign that the pump is actually used?

I have included a picture. Sorry if this isn't the proper area to post such a question, but I really do appreciate any help that anyone could provide.

Attachments

• 20150803_203742.jpg
    20150803_203742.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 29
I suppose some manufactures may do a quality check and/or test all or a certain percentage of products at the factory thereby using some sealant or product. If so, I would still think they would use a product that either doesn't stain, or would clean-up immediately for the customer. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, there also appears to be some purple discoloration around and inside the pump basket lid too? Perhaps this person did in-fact purchase the pump, tried to use it, and found that it didn't fit their needs and chose to sell it as new. If that's the case, they should've been very clear about that to the buyers when advertising. Maybe you can contact the seller to clarify how the stains got there and if it was EVER used at all. If they tip-toe around the issue, mention that a return or negative feedback score on e-Bay might result.

By the way ... welcome to TFP! :wave:

Looks like PVC primer to me, but that would be for a slip fitting...is that hole threaded or slip? Take off the motor head cover...You can tell from the wire connections if they've been nutted before or are new. Also, is the conduit hole to the motor head cover in tact?

At the very least, it looks like it's been sitting in the sun from the UV discoloration at the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.