Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping over auto cover, pavers vs.concrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping over auto cover, pavers vs.concrete?

I feel like a have a new question every day - thank goodness you are so willing to help a newbie!

We are close to the stage in the build where the PB is almost ready to pour concrete. We've decided to have the area around the pool done with pavers rather than stamped concrete. I've read many of the past threads on this site regarding pavers vs. concrete for the deck, and I feel there is a lot of support for pavers.

But I haven't seen this issue addressed (my apologies for the repeat if I missed it): We're getting an auto cover and the track for it is already installed along the lip of the pool. Our PB tells us we have to have "cantilevered concrete" poured on top of the track, 3.5" thick all around the pool. We brought up the idea of using pavers as coping instead, and he was against it. He said there would always be problems with stones coming loose and falling into the pool.

Does anyone have experience with paving stones used as coping over an auto cover track? Will it work for some auto covers but not others? The company constructing and installing the cover is Pennco, if that helps.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping over auto cover, pavers vs.concrete?

Generally when you use pavers for the pool deck, you enter use a solid stone for the coping, or use pavers for the coping but mortar them to the edge of the pool so they don't move.
    However, witha fiberglass pool, I have no idea how that work. I'd defer to the builder.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

The PB's I've interviewed so far all said they still pour the concrete lock ring around the pool, but even with the fiberglass coping. Then they use PL style adhesive to glue the paver coping to the fiberglass and concrete.

No clue how it works, but it sure sounds like repairing a loose coping paver would be easy enough should it ever become an issue.

ac

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure how they do this in NJ .. but we are building one with Coverstar autocover. After shotcrete, they put the aluminum tracks on the concrete and then they put the coping on top (travertine, in our case). The coping overhangs by 1/4 inch.. not more than that.
    Coverstar calls this "Encapsulated" track... You can check some photos in our build (link in sig)
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

We were going to do auto cover and have paver deck. Never seemed like it was a concern.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

Avc8130, what do you mean by a "concrete lock ring"? None of the contractors we've talked to has mentioned that.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Avc8130, what do you mean by a "concrete lock ring"? None of the contractors we've talked to has mentioned that.
    With a fiberglass pool you have to pour a concrete ring around the pool encapsulating the coping.

What are the contractors you have spoken to suggesting? You might want to call the manufacturer of your pool to discuss a PROPER installation technique to make sure they will honor the warranty...

ac