New to pool everything

tckgj

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Grand Junction, CO
We are currently under construction on an inground pool build in Grand Junction, Colorado. I have been reading many of the forum posts on various topics but decided I am finally at a point I need to ask specific questions. From the original pool builder who was fired due to concrete concerns we have the Raypak heater that was purchased last year and still in the box. We are looking at the autopilot digital SWG, a Pentair variable speed or variable flow pump, haven't gotten to researching cartridge filters yet but that will be next. I have a few specific questions. Well I have a million, but I will start with these.

1. Pentair has both a variable flow and variable speed pump. We have a 16x36 pool with one skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 low flow bubblers, and 1 waterfall. I assumed we wanted a variable speed but the description of the variable flow pump talks about controlling flow based on how many water features are running so now I don't know if this would be better. Or if they are essentially the same thing since speed affects flow. Any insight would be great.

2. I am getting ready to order the TF-100 test kit. Do I want any options such as the salt water tests, speedstir, etc?

3. Because I will have equipment from various manufacturers, is there a preferred automation system that works better with a situation like this? Or would I be better off buying all one brand? I was planning to go with the Autopilot swg because it appears from forum posts there is a lot of support from TFP members for trouble shooting and the product seems solid. But I am still researching pumps and filters so I could go with any brand. Heater is already here and paid for so it will be Raypak.

Sorry this post is all over the place. I know I could call a local pool builder who would be happy to sell me anything but I am trying to research this all myself so I have no regrets in the long run.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Tracy

Welcome to TFP!

Variable speed wins hands down over variable flow. There are too many variables for a pump to try to maintain flow rate. When things clog up it continues to ramp the rpm to maintain the flow. It is far better to set the rpm for the pump and not worry about it.

Some kind of salt test is handy. Everyone with a speedstir loves a speedstir.

You are much better off sticking with the same brand of automation for pumps, saltwater chlorine generators and lights. Heaters, filters and valves don't matter. It is difficult enough to program automation with same brand equipment, often impossible with mismatched brands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.