Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Question

I'm adding CYA stabilizer to my pool via the sock method,which is working great. But, I was wanting to know is it safe to get in the pool with the granular stabilizer still dissolving to clean some leaves out of the pool.

thanks for the help

Richard
    We have a Intex 26' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool it holds 14,667 gallons of water. It is above ground. It is sitting on a 32x32 sand box. The pump we are running is hard lined inIntex 28681EG 120V 16-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System 2650 gal/hr pump. 1) Taylor Technologies Inc K-2006 complete Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit. 2) Taylor Technologies Inc K-1766 Drop test Chloride Salt water test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Question

Yep, no problem!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok just making sure did not want to come out bones. lol I still new to the pool and did not realize that i had to become a chemist to take care of one. but slowly im learning and thanks to the pool calculator.
    We have a Intex 26' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool it holds 14,667 gallons of water. It is above ground. It is sitting on a 32x32 sand box. The pump we are running is hard lined inIntex 28681EG 120V 16-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System 2650 gal/hr pump. 1) Taylor Technologies Inc K-2006 complete Chlorine FAS-DPD test kit. 2) Taylor Technologies Inc K-1766 Drop test Chloride Salt water test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Just don't let the kids start playing with the sock.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, while a MS in Chemestry helps, I can attest to the fact that is poor folks with only a HS diploma can figure it out. But, I admit for the big words I wait for Chem Geek to chime in!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, as Richard said, just stay away from squeezing the sock. You want to avoid concentrated chemical, but when dissolved in water the CYA is no problem. Even water in the area of the sock saturated with CYA is not a problem; you simply couldn't drink enough to be an issue.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

1) no kids to worry about. 2) I'm a diy'er I don't mind working and reading about things as long as I'm moving forward and not just staying still. 3) I go out about every 3 to 4 hours and squeeze the sock so that it does dissolve quicker...is that a no no ? Which at this point is about fully dissolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just wanting to make sure i was reading this correctly that for a SWG pool that i should be running my CYA at about 70 ppm because when i checked it last it was about 35 ppm which was still low.

8. Back To Top    #8

Go ahead and squeeze away.

SWCG pool 70 is great. Wait for a,week for the CYA to show up on tests.

A little closer on your location will help us give you better advice. The U.S. Is a big country with many climate zones.......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, the avoiding the sock comment was just about not having kids play with it so that they squeeze it right near their eye. With your hands, there is no problem. CYA is a weak acid where a saturated solution only gets down to a pH of 5.3 in buffered pool water (even in distilled water it only gets down to around 4.0). The pH of 5.3 is similar to that of black coffee while a pH of 4.0 is still higher than that of sodas and grapefruit and tomato juices.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm in Milton, Florida 32572

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using this stabilizer so there is no extra chems that will change the balance. My cya was so low i did not want to slam my pool with bleach until after i get the levels up because if the chlorine escapes its pointless.

Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by redline95240sx View Post
    I'm in Milton, Florida 32572
    Well, as a 30+ year resident of Florida (68-99) I can honestly saucy I never made it to Milton. Close a couple of times, but never there.

I can honestly say if I ever move back, it will be north of I-10

12. Back To Top    #12

I honestly hate this area, because there is no jobs, I've been jobless for over a year and still have not gotten any callbacks from any employers. Also being 30 miles from the water kinda sucks if you like to fish. And this rain is the major culprit of all my pool issues. everytime it starts lighting up the sky you have to unplug the pump so you dont lose it.