Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I call the local hazmat department?? - don't be an idiot like me

1. Back To Top    #1

Prosper, Texas

Should I call the local hazmat department?? - don't be an idiot like me

So most of the summer I have been fighting with keeping my chlorine levels in check. I was always having low numbers so I added additional time to my Stenner pump. It got to the point where I was running the pump 8 hours a day. (I have the 3 gallon per day model). So yes a gallon of bleach a day. Much more than I needed last year.

I even went as far as to shut the Stenner pump off and SLAM the pool as I thought I was fighting an algae bloom. I only had to slam it for 3 days which I thought was odd. I was traveling quite a bit during the summer so I just kept making sure the tank was full before I would leave but each time I would return to little or no chlorine in the pool. It was very frustrating.

I was going to be out of town for 12 days so I asked a neighbor to refill my 15 gallon tank after I was gone for a week. I had a full tank and 9 jugs of bleach next to my tank for him to use to refill it, which he did. I also cranked up the time on the pump to 12 hours a day (1.5 gallons a day). I got home and had no chlorine in the pool!!! I then noticed something. All of my gravel around my equipment pad was white. it was very odd. I unscrewed the line from the Stenner pump where it enters the pool plumbing and nothing was coming out, now i had tested this earlier in the summer and some was flowing (but probably not enough...). I then unscrewed it on the pump side and there was a steady flow of bleach. I checked the line and it looks like a rabbit or something had chewed it in a couple places, or maybe it just cracked for some reason. I fixed the line and am happy to report by the next morning my pool was back up to proper chlorine level using just the pump.

I would guess over the summer I have dumped between 30-45 gallons of bleach on the side of my house.... Don't be an idiot like me, keep your lines off the ground and check them often. I was going crazy and was about to just go back to pucks....

Pics or it never happened...

21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Should I call the local hazmat department?? - don't be an idiot like me

But it appears they have bleached out to a nice pretty white.......

Glad you found it.

I'm lucky, all my pool equipment is in a 12 foot tall "crawl space" under my house and it sits,on a nice concrete floor. If a leak appears I'm sure I will find it and no critters to chew on the tubes. Whoever was chewing on it probably got a mouth full of bleach when they finally chewed through
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

That's one way to whiten your teeth.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Katy, TX

On the positive side, you won't have any spiders, ants, rodents, or any other vermin getting into your house through that wall!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

At this point, it's just salt left. Not especially hazardous.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!