Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand blowing into pool from the filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand blowing into pool from the filter

I have a Doughboy Silica II filter. It recently started "blowing" sand back into the pool when the pump is restarted. Each time the pump is turned on a couple of handfuls of sand is blown back into the pool. It then stops, until the next time the pump is cycled. I know that other posters have been told that a "lateral" might be broken. Does the doughboy have "laterals"?
    Thanks for any help, in advance.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand blowing into pool from the filter

If it's a sand filter, it has laterals as far as I know.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The internals for a doughboy silica II. If it has laterals, where would I find them?
    silica-II.jpg
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

4. Back To Top    #4

Taken directly from Doughboy's website: The tank’s Single-Part Underdrain Assembly assures maximum longevity because this unique design has no laterals which can break off.
    http://www.doughboy-pools.com/Produc...rs/Silica.aspx

Part #25 on your diagram is the "Periphery Underdrain Assembly" the doughboy's equivalent of everyone else's laterals.

I pulled this from the manual under the troubleshooting section.
    http://www.doughboy-pools.com/servic...g99silica2.pdf

G. Filter is backwashing when valve handle is in FILTER position after servicing filter.
    1. Valve cover is assembled backwards on tankcover (180o from correct position).

By any chance did you recently open up the filter to look inside? Could this have possibly happened?

Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer

5. Back To Top    #5

Nope, I have not opened it up except to put the sand inside by removing the bolts around the tank's "equator". I wonder if the "spider gasket" has begun to leak?

6. Back To Top    #6

That's what I'm thinking too. The spider gasket seems to be the common culprit right after broken laterals.

Coleman 5300 gal 16'x48" AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear 2800gph Sand Filter Pump 28647EG (56673EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ECO 8110
    Taylor K-2006 & K-1766 test kits w/ Speedstir and Samplesizer