Recommended CL level for removing organic stains

ComputerGuyInNOLA

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 20, 2012
Mandeville, Louisiana
I had some tree work done today. One of the trees they cut was a diseased Bradford Pear and the top landed on the corner of the pool dropping what looks like seed pods and leaves in the water. They failed to tell me when it happened. About three hours later I scooped it out but it left a lot of stains on the plaster. Brushing did not help. I read here to raise the Chlorine level but it did not say by how much. I run my CYA at 70 and my CL at 4 consistently. Should I double it? Would it hurt the plaster to just use a puck and hold it over each spot until it disappears? It is probably 20-30 spots about the size of a half dollar. I am having a pool party this weekend and it looks really bad. Thanks!

Many folks have tried products such as Vitamin C or chlorine tablets to remove stains - typically metal stains. But I suppose it's worth a try. We typically increase our FC level when we suspect there is an algae outbreak at which point we follow the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Either way, it's worth a try. Maybe some others will have an idea or two as well. Good luck!

I have stains that I attribute to the frogs who swim in the pool at night. I find they go away after a few weeks at normal FC levels. My recent SLAM had no effect on them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.