Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended CL level for removing organic stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended CL level for removing organic stains

I had some tree work done today. One of the trees they cut was a diseased Bradford Pear and the top landed on the corner of the pool dropping what looks like seed pods and leaves in the water. They failed to tell me when it happened. About three hours later I scooped it out but it left a lot of stains on the plaster. Brushing did not help. I read here to raise the Chlorine level but it did not say by how much. I run my CYA at 70 and my CL at 4 consistently. Should I double it? Would it hurt the plaster to just use a puck and hold it over each spot until it disappears? It is probably 20-30 spots about the size of a half dollar. I am having a pool party this weekend and it looks really bad. Thanks!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended CL level for removing organic stains

Many folks have tried products such as Vitamin C or chlorine tablets to remove stains - typically metal stains. But I suppose it's worth a try. We typically increase our FC level when we suspect there is an algae outbreak at which point we follow the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Either way, it's worth a try. Maybe some others will have an idea or two as well. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the puck is worth a try and won't hurt the plaster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Pooldv, I will pick up some pucks tomorrow. I hate the pool store but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Glad to hear it wont damage the plaster. I will put on some swim socks to hold them down and tackle them one at a time.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have stains that I attribute to the frogs who swim in the pool at night. I find they go away after a few weeks at normal FC levels. My recent SLAM had no effect on them.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon