Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fighting cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Fighting cloudy water

22,000 gal. Above ground intex pool. It's my first year and the water was crystal clear for a while and we were just testing and maintaining the chlorine and ph levels and all was good. Shock once a week and water was great then one day it turned cloudy and we have been fighting it ever since! Going in 3 weeks now fighting and taking samples to the pool store only to spend money on products they say will work but end up days later with the same results. Now I'm starting to get a slightly green tint to the water. Here are my levels today please help if you can. Thanks!!
    Currently using a 6 way test strip so here goes...TH: 400, FC:2/4, PH:7.5, TA:180, CYA: 30-50. Again any advice you can give would be great we have never had a pool this large before. Thanks again!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Fighting cloudy water

Welcome to TFP!

Everything you say is right out of the pool store book on pool care. I'm sorry to say, their way does not work well.

Our methods are based on accurate testing and treating the pool with what it needs only when it needs it. Unfortunately test strips are worthless and pool store testing is hit or miss, usually miss.

To follow our methods you need an accurate test kit based on Taylor chemicals. They are the gold standard in the industry. I recommend a TF100 kit from When you get it purchase the XL option as that will give you the additional reagents you will need to SLAM the pool.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Fighting cloudy water

Mjburns, sorry about your misfortune with the pool. Read all of the information provided here in this website and you will find yourself more educated and prepared to battle your pool problems. I have only had my pool for a little over two months. I have a Taylor K2006 test kit and follow the instructions provided here and from some of the experts that post regularly. I spend a few minutes each morning with my pool and following the information and pool math calculator on this website. Because of everything I've learned here, my pool rocks!!
    13K gal, inground, pebble, 3HP Pentair Intellipro VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, A&A infloor cleaning system, Taylor K2006 test kit. Build date 06/15.