Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: a way to use a water level tool for leveling ground for a rectangle pool???

1. Back To Top    #1

Question a way to use a water level tool for leveling ground for a rectangle pool???

we we have a 12'x24'x52" Intex pool that we just took down. Time to do it right, lol. I found a nifty tool mentioned in a past TFP post about using a water level. I've got an idea of how to apply this tool. Would appreciate your feedback as to the soundness of this idea...

1. Stake off the perimeter of the general area using at least 15" stakes (I'm thinking three stales on each side). Make sure to allow for the space needed but the legs & support stones!
    2. Fill a milk jug with water & add red dye, insert a 30' tube of 1/2" or 3/4" clear tubing about 1" broom the bottom, making sure to seal the insertion point into the jug.
    3. Select a stake, stretch the tubing to it. Make a mark on the stake AND on the jug. (From that point, it's just a matter of moving the tube to the remaining stakes & marking them where they are level with the mark on the jug. Is this the right way?)
    4. Measure the distance on each stake from the mark to the ground. The difference would be the amount of earth I have to remove from the hig end at the point it enters the ground. (Does this sound logical?)

I'm sure there are more steps to follow and some things (or a lot, lol) that I've missed in the above process. Would greatly appreciate your constructive feedback
    Intex Rectangular AG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24' x 12' x 52" (8403 gal, well water)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model number: 28663EG/54601EG
    Intex sand filter pump, 120V 1,600gph with GFCI
    Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: a way to use a water level tool for leveling ground for a rectangle pool???

When I built my parents above ground pool years ago I just used a string between stakes and leveled the string with a long level. I then just measured down to the ground with a tape measure.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    When I built my parents above ground pool years ago I just used a string between stakes and leveled the string with a long level. I then just measured down to the ground with a tape measure.
    Dang, that's so simple
    Intex Rectangular AG Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24' x 12' x 52" (8403 gal, well water)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System model number: 28663EG/54601EG
    Intex sand filter pump, 120V 1,600gph with GFCI
    Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

I made mine from two car jack stands, a garden hose, silver tape and two test tubes with scales on them. See pic. Worked great for leveling my pavers and ground, within a few milimeters. Same pool as you have, now filling!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

5. Back To Top    #5

The easiest way to do a 12' wide rectangular pool would be to burry 4-4s or landscaping timbers level and parallel 12' apart and use them as guides. You can do it with just a level. Star by figuring out your low point. Dig a small trench to put the 2 4"-4"-12' board down to run 24' , make sure that it is level. Do the same thing on the other side , make sure that it is level to your other board by running a 12' board across and using a level. Once you have the parallel level guides in the rest is fool proof.

6. Back To Top    #6

No need for a milk jug, or for coloring (in my opinion)

You can see clear water just fine. I love the idea of using the jack stands - that's perfect. Zip tie, tape, or clamp the tubing to the two stands, and put them next to each other on a level surface. Draw a line on the tubing where the water lines up. Put one stand on your lowest paver - that's your "control". Dig the other pavers down until when you put the other jack stand on the paver, the water level lines up with the mark.

When you fill your tube, make sure you have no bubbles trapped in it.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

7. Back To Top    #7

Just finished filling the pool. Pretty awesome leveling if I may say so! The water is perfectly aligned with the liner seam all around the pool. Doubt that a laser transit would have yielded a better result. Also, DIY is more fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

sorry, double post
    Last edited by Mickelin; 08-04-2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Double post

9. Back To Top    #9

I used mason's line and a line level. Ran the mason's line all lengthwise cross-wise and diagonally.
    Did a sanity check with a 12 ft. straight board. The key for me was check and re-check everything.
    Water level would be even better
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40