Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: We did it!

1. Back To Top    #1

We did it!

Thanks for everyone's help. We chose a pool and dig starts in 2weeks. Firm drawings this Friday.

What we got:
    20x35 grecian 4 - 5 1/2' - 4' sport bottom
    900' of sandstone color stamped concrete (no high gloss slippery stuff) 12' in step end, 8' on left side, 4' opposite from steps and side.
    27mil liner
    1.65 Hayward Tri-Star Pump (100 gpm turnover) Checking price of 2 speed, but will likely get.
    48sq ft DE filter
    1 skimmer/dedicated auto cleaner line
    high pressure return jets
    14 gauge steel walls
    8' poly braced concrete reinforced steps
    dual anti vortex main drains
    foam cushion between liner and wall
    aluminum coping
    hayward SWG with timer and freeze controls
    hayward pro logic LED 4.0 multi color light
    One rate for electric installation ($1500)
    plumbing for slide (down the road)
    3 deck jets on opposite side of pool.
    $34K

I will certainly lean on you through the process as I am a newbie at all this pool lingo.
    Please let me know if anything odd sticks out!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: We did it!

Looks like you have done it now!

Aluminum coping? not sure what you mean here though. Sounds like lots of hot feet with this.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Looks like you have done it now!

Aluminum coping? not sure what you mean here though. Sounds like lots of hot feet with this.

Kim
    Vinyl liner pools usually have an aluminum coping that the liner locks into, and the concrete is poured right up to. The white line that's a couple inches thick around the top of most vinyl liner pools is the aluminum coping.
    There's mine.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

THANKS! I was "seeing" a large coping of shiny aluminum for feet to get burned on .

THAT looks great! Always learning!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

what n240sxguy said...

6. Back To Top    #6

But won't that be hot as ... heck?
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

Marla if you look at guy's pic you will see that it is not a big area and it is white so...........feet would be safe.

Kim

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay. I guess I was confused (what else is new?? Lol)!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    But won't that be hot as ... heck?
    On a super sunny day it will get warm, but not nearly as hot as the concrete around it. You don't walk in it anyway. The concrete is poured right up to the edge, and the coping continues to the inside of the pool at the top of the liner.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Do I have another choice? Been in few pools with that white strip, never occurred to me that it was really hot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by wxguy23 View Post
    Do I have another choice? Been in few pools with that white strip, never occurred to me that it was really hot.
    From my reading, you can do a brick or concrete cantilever edge. Not sure exactly how it works, maybe a different kind of track under it, but it's supposed to be more expensive. Personally, if the money turns into an object, as it would with me, I would just have it painted a different color.

12. Back To Top    #12

Money is running tight, as I still need a fence. So I will have to go with what comes with it.

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't think it would be a problem. Guy would have already had a problem if it were going to be something that needed to be changed.

I had no idea the small,white strip was called a coping on that pool. I am used to big stones and paver like piece being called coping so I was seeing a 6" wide strip of shiny aluminum all around the pool. I am sorry that I caused any worries on your part.

Kim

14. Back To Top    #14

No worries at all!

15. Back To Top    #15

I have a vinyl pool with the white aluminum coping. My pool sits in the sun all day. We have regular temperatures in the 90s here in KY, and I never have felt that coping and thought that it was too hot. It has never felt warmer than my plain concrete decking. I would not worry about the temp of it.

You can replace it with a cantilevered concrete edge. I think that my PB wanted an extra $1500 of $2000 for it, and we decided that it was not worth it. The edge I think also adds about a week to construction.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter