Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC vs DWV?; sweep 90's?; T's vs Y's?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Madison, WI

PVC vs DWV?; sweep 90's?; T's vs Y's?

I'm in the midst of re-piping and was wondering what kind of pipes I should be using? Is DWV not as good as Schedule 40 PVC? Would DWV sweep 90's be better than PVC 90's that little to no curve in them? If I had to tie two pipes together, would joining them with a T be better/different than using a Y?

This the previous piping job, where the left valve shuts off the vac line and the right valve shuts off the skimmer. The rightmost line is the shallow end return line. Just curious about the flow of all of this piping, if there was a better way to do it?

2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: PVC vs DWV?; sweep 90's?; T's vs Y's?

DWV is drain pipe and not rated for pressure.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

And make sure you don't use dwv fittings either... They have shallower sockets for the pipe to fit into than regular schedule 40 pressure fittings do....

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

Note that a lot of 1.5 and 2 inch PVC pipe is dual rated DWV and Schedule 40, those are fine to use, just don't use DWV fittings like those swept 90's on anything
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~