Frustrated by mustard algae

Aug 3, 2015
Davie, FL
This is my first post so I will add a brief background before my issue. I purchased this home almost one year ago to the day. The home was in desperate need some care, including the pool. The owner told me he would dump a jug of liquid chlorine from Pinch a Penny each week and brush the pool which was the extent of his pool care. As a first time pool owner after getting the keys to the house i went to Pinch a Penny to see what I needed to do. Long story short the Manager at my local store is very knowledgable and never really pushed much on me aside from the phosphate remover, liquid chlorine, muratic acid and pucks.

Researching a frustration i was having with bugs in the pool i came across this site and dove in to hours of reading and really gained a ton of knowledge. Thank you all who run this board and those that post. It has been incredibly helpful to the point i no longer frequent the pool store. Unfortunately my wife bought me a Pinch a Penny gift card for my birthday, so will figure that out another day.

A few days before July 4th I realized the last month of a really dirty pool was not dirt but indeed an algae of some sort. Just no way the pool needed to be swept like it did on a daily basis. I decided to shock the pool according to the stickey and saw results the next day. I hadn't realized that the pool wasn't blue until i shocked it so its difficult to know when the issue began (I do know that dating back to April i had a 0 FC reading after traveling for work and asking my wife to pour some chlorine in the pool). I followed the shock process and once i passed all the tests let the FC drift down to normal range. My CYA is typically anywhere between 50-60, so i have been targeting 4-5 TC.

This weekend I noticed the same yellowish green cloud when brushing the pool and after reading up i really feel this is mustard algae. So I started shocking again yesterday and here are my readings before leaving for work today:

FC: 24
CC: 0
CYA: 55
PH: 7.6

After reading more today I see I should drop my PH to 7.2 to boost the FC effectiveness. Any other tips? I am running my VS pump at 2900 RPM from 8a-12p, the 1900 RPM from 12p-4p, and 1400 RPM from 4p to 8a. I don't have any ladders in the pool but do have one light. This wasn't removed last time and honestly I am not comfortable touching it. After the last go round i cleaned the filter cartridges with water as usual, but should i soak in bleach this time? Appreciate any advice. I am leaving Saturday morning for an overnight trip with the family, so hoping to have this resolved by then as I wont be available to monitor as closely. TIA.

Welcome to TFP!

First, few who think they have mustard algae really do have it.

In the SLAM pH really doesn't change the effectiveness of the chlorine, it's just once the chlorine is above FC 10 the pH test is not reliable.

Your solution is to SLAM your pool. You have been toying with it, killing some of it but some has always remained.

Read this and follow the instructions fully to the end. There is no shortcut. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thanks for the response Tim. I SLAMed the pool after the first outbreak (I said shock, but meant SLAM). Followed the link you provided to the T). I passed the OCLT on the 4th day I believe, and never had a CC show up on the test.
was the pool clear, meaning not only clear water but you saw no algae, dead or alive?

Crystal clear. Nothing aside from some floating insects which are pretty standard for this pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I also failed to mention the Phosphates have always been relatively high. Always between 500-1000. I havent had this checked in 2 months though, since i started using my Taylor 2006 kit.

Crystal clear. Nothing aside from some floating insects which are pretty standard for this pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I also failed to mention the Phosphates have always been relatively high. Always between 500-1000. I havent had this checked in 2 months though, since i started using my Taylor 2006 kit.
phosphates are irrelevant if you keep your FC at the proper level based on your CYA.

Where do you normally keep the FC?

So 'v been slamming for 5 days and still losing over 2.0 FC overnight. It wasn't now after looking up the splashless chlorine that i realized it is not as concentrated as the regular bottles i typically buy. I haven't had any suds or anything aside from a few bubbles when pouring so didn't think much of it. So aside from wasting money the past week since i undoubtably was not achieving SLAM FC levels, is there anything else I should be concerned about having poured 12 jugs of splashless bleach in my pool?

Also, heading out of town tomorrow morning - Sunday night. Any suggestions on how to maintain the SLAM. Should i drop my floater back in the pool while I'm away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.