Raypak Model P-R406A-EN-C NOT Lighting....

Hi everyone!

GREAT SITE !! So GLAD I found it......

Newbie pool owner here, and need a little help. I have already looked at various threads on this, and tried as best I could before asking for help here.

Raypak MODEL P-R406A-EN-C Natural Gas heater. I think its 400k +/- BTU.

Purchased/Installed end of last August with new pool. Only used a few times last year before closing pool. This year since pool was opened, NO PROBLEMS with it ! All of a sudden, not firing.

I have gas, pilot LIGHTS! I hear click PRIOR to pilot lighting - but when its lit, I just hear clicking, clicking, clicking. ERROR CODES were Ignition Failure. I cleared codes, reset to factory defaults, no visible rust/etc on burner tubes. Nothing around heater changed in way of wind, etc. Simply just won't fire. I'm pretty mechanical, so if any suggestions, please advise. I guess if any of them I get do not work, I will have to bite the bullet and call a tech.

Thanks in advance for ALL of the knowledge on here, and the time everyone takes to answer my question!!! Greatly appreciated!!

Best regards - Bill

I would call Raypak and see who is the closest warranty repair station in your area. Seeing you purchased and installed in August of last year, you are close to the end of warranty.

My guess is you have either a system bad board or pilot assembly. But it should be under warranty.

If the pilot is lit and still sparking then usually either the ignition control or circuit board is defective. Call for warranty if you can, those parts are pricey!

Thanks OldPoolMan ! I just went out to it again, and got this message "No Pilot Sensed, Ignition Failure" BUT The Pilot IS LIT... I checked Warranty - I purchased the heater in June, Pool was finished August. That's why I thought I bought it in August.

Sounds like you need to get a new system board as previously stated. You could still try and get it covered under warranty. It wouldn't hurt to try and contact Raypak and explain the situation. You just nver know.

Sounds like you need to get a new system board as previously stated. You could still try and get it covered under warranty. It wouldn't hurt to try and contact Raypak and explain the situation. You just nver know.

Thanks PS! I already called them. Was like talking to a Brick Wall!!! Second time I have had to call them about this heater (First was not operational issue) and their Customer Service is a JOKE! Warranty expired in June, and guy basically told me I was S.O.L. ! Started searching online for board. So far around $400.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My hot tub did the same thing as others on this thread, pilot light was lit, but not detected. I was skeptical about replacing the main board when I did not know of anything that could have caused an issue. Seemed like there were experts on this forum, so I followed the advice of everyone on this thread, and that was to purchase and replace the main board. I found one for under $300 (mypoolyard dot com), got it in 2 days! I received the new board. When I removed the old one, look what was stuck on the main board...a fried treefrog. It seemed to have cause a circuit burn out right under the sensor. I was able to see a burn through on the opposite side of the board. So I replaced the board, and everything is working. I also filled in all the holes to prevent more critters accessing the main board area. Now I hope it never happens again. But the lesson is that it does not matter how new or old the unit is, if an animal gets inside, anything can happen! Thank you all for the advice. I hope this post helps others.

Attachments

• frogonmotherboard.jpg
    frogonmotherboard.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.