Glacier Chiller - Installation Question

Jul 1, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm considering putting a Glacier chiller on my pool. My water temp routinely hits 94 and I don't want to use the fountains that I've seen other people talk about.

My question is regarding installation. I finally got my hands on the install manual. It lists instructions for existing/new pool builds with/without automation. On the new pool builds it says to run a line from the bottom center of the pool back to the chiller for the return water. It specifically says it cannot be a return in the side of the pool. I have an existing pool and plumbing is done. I don't have enough slack in my plumbing to plumb in the "T" on the suction side of the pump for the return water from the cooler. That is how the instructions say to do it for an existing pool. What I do have however is a 1 1/2" line running from my equipment pad to the side of the pool wall. I had my PB stub this in in case I ever wanted to add a pressure side cleaner. I want to know if I can use this line to return water from the chiller to the pool. The manual says it would have to be in the bottom center of the pool but doesn't say why. Anyone know?

I'm sorry, I don't know. Lets :bump: the thread and see if someone else does.

Casey, thanks for the bump. I have some updated info. I talked to a sales person from Glacier and they said it would indeed be OK to use the 1 1/2" stub out I have that was originally intended for a pressure side cleaner. Their reasoning is that cold water should be returned to the bottom center of the pool where it would stay coldest. I turn my pool over so quickly I personally don't think it would make a difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.