Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing outlet pipe from Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing outlet pipe from Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heater

I've got an aging (but still cookin') Max-E-Therm heater with a hairline crack in the outlet pipe. I've ordered a replacement, and the PVC union came right off with just a little effort, but I can't get the pipe out of the manifold. I tried dousing it with WD40 Rust Penetrant spray (it says it works on and is safe for plastic) and giving it a few minutes to work; I did this a total of three times over about an hour and a half, and no dice.

I'm using a fairly good sized rubber strap wrench to try to remove it, and I'm getting a fair amount of torque on it, but it's just not budging. I've tried some whacks with a rubber mallet as well.

Any hints on how to approach this? I really want to make this work, because replacing the entire external manifold is a $250 proposition. Should I try a pipe wrench? A bigger/better strap wrench? Some other tool?

One of many pictures can be seen on this Amazon listing for the whole manifold; unfortunately (possibly a big "unfortunately"), my version does not have the ribbed tubes like this replacement. Mine has smooth tubes.

Amazon.com : Sta-Rite Natural Gas/LP Gas Pool Garden

Brad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing outlet pipe from Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm heater

Do you have a picture you can post. That might help explain just what you are trying to remove.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's a good picture...

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

A set of large adjustable channellocks.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Paul, does that recommendation stand in light of the fact that mine doesn't have the "ribs" displayed above?

Brad