Do you use your sunshelf?

Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
My husband and I don't agree on whether to include a sunshelf in our pool design. What is your opinion?

We are meeting with PCs to design and build a 450-500 sf curvy pool with a 12"x8'x10' sunshelf and 2 additional bench seats in other areas. I would like a decent sized sunshelf tucked into one of the concave curves, but that would be a fair amount of real estate in a relatively small pool. Pool is primarily for us and our dog. :)

Thank you for you advice!

I got totally outvoted, I was completely against it. And even I love it. Dogs love it. I walk through it all the time. Walk out to get my water test. We sit on it, lean against it from inside the pool, beach floaties on it. It is a good thing.

Take this with a grain of salt as we've only been using out new pool for six weeks now; yes, I'd do it again in a heart beat. We have two Adirondack chairs and an umbrella on our and several guests have enjoyed it while others are in the pool. Wife and I have gone out and used it while enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset but not get anything above our ankles (a little higher wet), 4 yo grandson used it as a launch pad for getting a short running start for a dive into the pool. Sister in-law fell asleep on a mat in it and got sunburned so I think you could say we use it.

Whats funny is I have a neighbor who has one who counseled us NOT to install one. They never use theirs's and it's a pain because you have to brush it because the vacuum won't clean it.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: SoFloGal
We have a 7x7 sun shelf and the water is at the second step into the pool, it continues at the same depth, as a 18 inch bench all the way down one side of the pool. The water is 16 inches deep over the shelf. That makes it big enough for two deck loungers and deep enough for the water to come just to the seat level on the lounger. My wife uses it more than the rest of the pool combined. The dog uses it, and any time small children are here they play there. When children are on the shelf we use a lounger turned on its side to keep them from leaving the shelf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I had to do it all over again, my sun shelf would be 3x the size it is now. The dogs love it. The kids love it. I put a few adirondack chairs on it and lounge under built-in umbrella with a fruity rum drink (little flowered umbrella included) in my hand.

Easiest. Decision. Ever.

Our pool is to new to give a firm opinion. But ours is in the middle of the pool and 140 Square feet and could fit four loungers. We made it 8 inches deep. In retrospect we probably would have shortened it so that it doesn't jet out into the pool as much as it does. As its shape does interfere a bit with our volleyball court.

My sense is that we will be happy we have it.

Hi Yev, we are planning on building a concrete pool.

The positive shelf reviews make this decision much easier, now to decide a depth. 3 of 4 PBs that have been to our house are pro-shelf. Would you believe that one PB would charge us for the shelf and benches on top of the price of a base pool, and we are talking thousands extra!

I think it was $600 or $800 extra for my baja shelf. I also think it was $400 or $500 for extra benches. One bench was standard and came with the price of the pool. My baja shelf had some upgrades . . .

I think mine is 6" it's pretty large I like the depth because you can sit in a low chair and not get wet - it allows all the non-swimming party-goers to be part of the pool fun and not have to get wet.

Best money ever spent. You won't regret it!

Hi Yev, we are planning on building a concrete pool.

The positive shelf reviews make this decision much easier, now to decide a depth. 3 of 4 PBs that have been to our house are pro-shelf. Would you believe that one PB would charge us for the shelf and benches on top of the price of a base pool, and we are talking thousands extra!

I think the extra costs comes from the extra rebar work and forming needed to make those elements. sadly, it once again proves that pools are for fun, not for saving money.

My shelf is abotu 4.5" deep, which as sunbaby said above is a nice depth because a fold up beach chair can sit in it and be about 1 inch above water level. It is also nice for people who want to lay down, because it is shallow enough that your body's buoyancy doesnt try to float you up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.