Do you use your sunshelf?

We did a 5" sundeck big enough for 2 loungers with an umbrella sleeve between them.
Love being able to sit there reading while the kids are going wild in the pool.
Our Doxie is always wading through it to cool off.
If I did it over I would maybe go an inch deeper.

We have a wading pool about 12" deep which has a small wall at water level that overflows in the pool. Never saw one before we bought our house but we love this thing. The water gets warmer than the rest of the pool and when we have little ones around there is a barrier to the pool. We also have two main drains in that portion which keeps it clean. I would get the shelf if I were you.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I'll chime in. My pool is new, and we aren't very social. But I knew from the beginning that I wanted a sun shelf to do some yoga and other stretching exercises on. I hate getting hot and sweaty. So mine is 6 inches deep and can fit maybe one or two loungers on it.

I've already been doing my sit down and lie down stretches on the sun shelf, and it is PERFECT! There's something about doing relaxing stretching outside in the water with the sky and the trees and the plants and the birds. I'm not an Earth Mother or anything. I just find it really peaceful. Yet, I never hear of anyone else on TFP talking about that use of their sun shelf. Come on people, try it! It's wonderful!!!!
Suz.

43d7e679b4f6d04a3d8c2828f4e7b18f.jpg

As you can see in the picture ours goes into the swimming area quite a bit. The only thing I would have changed would have been to pull the shelf out of the swimming area a bit more.

Created a more drastic curve there and brought the shelf further into the deck area. Does that make sense?

Also take your favorite chair and measure how far from the floor to where your butt sits in it. If you don't want wet butt, then that's your depth limit on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've already been doing my sit down and lie down stretches on the sun shelf, and it is PERFECT! There's something about doing relaxing stretching outside in the water with the sky and the trees and the plants and the birds. I'm not an Earth Mother or anything. I just find it really peaceful. Yet, I never hear of anyone else on TFP talking about that use of their sun shelf. Come on people, try it! It's wonderful!!!!
Suz.

That is so cool. So cool that I just spent 10 minutes fighting with this iPad mini to capture the quote

Also take your favorite chair and measure how far from the floor to where your butt sits in it. If you don't want wet butt, then that's your depth limit on the shelf.

Actually. My wife wanted the water level on the shelf at 16 inches, to come right up to the seating level. Before we had a pool with a ledge, she would float around on an air mattress. Her complaint was no place to put her cool drink and fear she would get her book (or iPad wet). Now the shelf with a lounger on it is just like the air mattress, but solves both those problems.

43d7e679b4f6d04a3d8c2828f4e7b18f.jpg

As you can see in the picture ours goes into the swimming area quite a bit. The only thing I would have changed would have been to pull the shelf out of the swimming area a bit more.

Created a more drastic curve there and brought the shelf further into the deck area. Does that make sense?

Riddle, is that a giant Catfish in your pool?

Take this with a grain of salt as we've only been using out new pool for six weeks now; yes, I'd do it again in a heart beat. We have two Adirondack chairs and an umbrella on our and several guests have enjoyed it while others are in the pool. Wife and I have gone out and used it while enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset but not get anything above our ankles (a little higher wet), 4 yo grandson used it as a launch pad for getting a short running start for a dive into the pool. Sister in-law fell asleep on a mat in it and got sunburned so I think you could say we use it.

Whats funny is I have a neighbor who has one who counseled us NOT to install one. They never use theirs's and it's a pain because you have to brush it because the vacuum won't clean it.

Hope that helps.
This is what I hope my experience will be! What water depth is yours?

We have a 7x7 sun shelf and the water is at the second step into the pool, it continues at the same depth, as a 18 inch bench all the way down one side of the pool. The water is 16 inches deep over the shelf. That makes it big enough for two deck loungers and deep enough for the water to come just to the seat level on the lounger. My wife uses it more than the rest of the pool combined. The dog uses it, and any time small children are here they play there. When children are on the shelf we use a lounger turned on its side to keep them from leaving the shelf.
Sounds amazing! Can you share a pic of the shelf that transitions into the bench? This is exactly what I am trying to do! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.