Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your sunshelf?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you use your sunshelf?

My husband and I don't agree on whether to include a sunshelf in our pool design. What is your opinion?

We are meeting with PCs to design and build a 450-500 sf curvy pool with a 12"x8'x10' sunshelf and 2 additional bench seats in other areas. I would like a decent sized sunshelf tucked into one of the concave curves, but that would be a fair amount of real estate in a relatively small pool. Pool is primarily for us and our dog.

Thank you for you advice!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Do you use your sunshelf?

The dog will use it if no one else does.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

We LOVE ours - we use it all the time.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have a sun shelf, but I frequently notice guests using the very wide top step as a pseudo sun shelf.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I got totally outvoted, I was completely against it. And even I love it. Dogs love it. I walk through it all the time. Walk out to get my water test. We sit on it, lean against it from inside the pool, beach floaties on it. It is a good thing.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Love ours...made it even bigger during build. Wanted it big enough to put 4 loungers on it.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

7. Back To Top    #7

so pool owners unanimously say yes!

Is 12" too deep?

8. Back To Top    #8

Take this with a grain of salt as we've only been using out new pool for six weeks now; yes, I'd do it again in a heart beat. We have two Adirondack chairs and an umbrella on our and several guests have enjoyed it while others are in the pool. Wife and I have gone out and used it while enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset but not get anything above our ankles (a little higher wet), 4 yo grandson used it as a launch pad for getting a short running start for a dive into the pool. Sister in-law fell asleep on a mat in it and got sunburned so I think you could say we use it.

Whats funny is I have a neighbor who has one who counseled us NOT to install one. They never use theirs's and it's a pain because you have to brush it because the vacuum won't clean it.

Hope that helps.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

9. Back To Top    #9

Ours is about 5-6", more would definitely be better. But, I think more like 9, I think a whole foot is too deep.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

We have a 7x7 sun shelf and the water is at the second step into the pool, it continues at the same depth, as a 18 inch bench all the way down one side of the pool. The water is 16 inches deep over the shelf. That makes it big enough for two deck loungers and deep enough for the water to come just to the seat level on the lounger. My wife uses it more than the rest of the pool combined. The dog uses it, and any time small children are here they play there. When children are on the shelf we use a lounger turned on its side to keep them from leaving the shelf.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Everyone's favorite spot at our house.
    Roman Style 20+ Year Remodel 4'-10.5'. 25K Gallon - Hayward SWG conversion. SWG. Blue Granite PebbleSheen w/Shells. Ash Nero Trim Tile. Remodel of steps, added bench seating and small sundeck. Maytronics Dolphin M4 Robot Cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

If I had to do it all over again, my sun shelf would be 3x the size it is now. The dogs love it. The kids love it. I put a few adirondack chairs on it and lounge under built-in umbrella with a fruity rum drink (little flowered umbrella included) in my hand.

Easiest. Decision. Ever.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

Our pool is to new to give a firm opinion. But ours is in the middle of the pool and 140 Square feet and could fit four loungers. We made it 8 inches deep. In retrospect we probably would have shortened it so that it doesn't jet out into the pool as much as it does. As its shape does interfere a bit with our volleyball court.

My sense is that we will be happy we have it.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

14. Back To Top    #14

Our pool is not done yet but we added a sun shelf for all the reasons mentioned. Ours is 13" deep and roughly 11' x 8'.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Does anyone have a sun shelf on a fiberglass pool? I see a lot of the manufacturers are starting to offer them. Pics would be great!

ac

16. Back To Top    #16

Helen203, are you going with a vinyl inground pool, or concrete or fiberglass?
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Ours is also 8-9" deep.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi Yev, we are planning on building a concrete pool.

The positive shelf reviews make this decision much easier, now to decide a depth. 3 of 4 PBs that have been to our house are pro-shelf. Would you believe that one PB would charge us for the shelf and benches on top of the price of a base pool, and we are talking thousands extra!

19. Back To Top    #19

I think it was $600 or $800 extra for my baja shelf. I also think it was $400 or $500 for extra benches. One bench was standard and came with the price of the pool. My baja shelf had some upgrades . . .

I think mine is 6" it's pretty large I like the depth because you can sit in a low chair and not get wet - it allows all the non-swimming party-goers to be part of the pool fun and not have to get wet.

Best money ever spent. You won't regret it!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Hi Yev, we are planning on building a concrete pool.

The positive shelf reviews make this decision much easier, now to decide a depth. 3 of 4 PBs that have been to our house are pro-shelf. Would you believe that one PB would charge us for the shelf and benches on top of the price of a base pool, and we are talking thousands extra!
    I think the extra costs comes from the extra rebar work and forming needed to make those elements. sadly, it once again proves that pools are for fun, not for saving money.

My shelf is abotu 4.5" deep, which as sunbaby said above is a nice depth because a fold up beach chair can sit in it and be about 1 inch above water level. It is also nice for people who want to lay down, because it is shallow enough that your body's buoyancy doesnt try to float you up.
    IG W/Vinyl Liner Oval 18x40, 21K gal, Oval 3'-8'
    Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Sand Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast