Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE alternative.

1. Back To Top    #1

DE alternative.

Anyone use the DE alternative material with salt filter? If so have you had good results using it

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE alternative.

I don't use salt, but I do use the cellulose DE replacement. I'm happy with it. When it hits pressure to backwash, don't delay. Pressure will start climbing really fast after that. The stuff really clings to the grids, too. I generally open up the filter after the backwash and blast the screens in place with a hose and then backwash again to finish the job, and then add the full amount of media. It's not a big headache, since it's at most a twice a year job for me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto to what Richard says. Pressure slowly climbs from clean to backwash pressure then boom! I think the cellulose starts degrading and really clumps up. I do a full clean on the filter each time. Unfortunately for me it's every 6-8 weeks.

What brand cellulose do you use? I have a screened pool, not much muck in the pool at all so I would expect a longer time than 6 - 8 weeks. I've been using Jacks Magic Fiber from Pinch a Penny at about $10 for a 18oz bag - just enough for one refill on my Hayward DE3620
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The zeofiber de alternative works fantastic. Water is sparkling clear best it has looked all summer. I have been fighting a algae problem this summer and that's to all the helpful links and advice I have seen here on this site we now have rid the algae from the pool and have awesome looking water and are on the BBB method. * doing the happy dance*

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought the Ecoklean because that is all I could find locally. I love everything about using the cellulose over the DE. The water looks better, it is easier to work with and better for the environment.

Not to thread jack but does anyone know how long before it starts breaking down? Does it need to be replenished in the filter after a time?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the reason for using an alternative as opposed to regular DE?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    What is the reason for using an alternative as opposed to regular DE?
    It's biodegradable. that is why I use it.

8. Back To Top    #8

The cellulose seems to start breaking down after about six months. What I've observed is that the filter runs normal for a long period of time and the pressure slowly increases as it gets dirty. And when it hits the magic 25% rise, I must backwash. Even putting it off for a week or two until a more convenient time is too long. The pressure will climb another 25% in that time and the flow turns to nothing. And it doesn't backwash out well at that point. It gets gooey and really clings to the grids. I think at that point it's started decomposing.

Why cellulose and not DE? DE doesn't decompose. It's also a breathing hazard after it dries. I backwash onto the lawn and let the cellulose break down and fertilize things. And if I ever choose to discharge into the street and get in trouble, my defense is that it's just high-grade sawdust.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Same reasons for me to switch to cellulose - biodegradable, doesn't leave white residue on lawn and everywhere, and small bag vs large box.

10. Back To Top    #10

My own experience with cellulose was far less positive than those of the other posters. Once I get past the initial spring cleanup, I need to backwash my DE filter about every 8 weeks. This is based on 10 years experience. However, 3 years back I got the biodegradable bug and tried cellulose (I forget the brand). After 7 backwashes in 3 weeks, that experiment ended. It was simply the worst of both worlds - more expensive and more work. That's a combination I can do without.
    32,500 Gal. IG Vinyl Pool, DE Filter, 2 Hp Haywood Pump, Booster Pump for Polaris, Biogard SWG. TF-100 Test Kit w/ Supplemental Borate Test Strips.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have also been using EcoKlean for about three months now and am quite happy with it so far. It was a very noticeable and positive difference in the clarity of the pool for me. I see noticeably less particulates visible in front of the lights at night (This used to drive me crazy).

After a teardown and cleaning for the conversion and backwash at about a week and a half I haven't had to do much else with it. I don't need to 'bump' the filter. It is supposed to filter down to 2 micron vs. 3-5 micron for DE.

A word of caution, stay far away from (you should not be using these anyway) clarifiers, phosphate removers or any additive for that matter. They will instantly gum up the cellulose and drive up your pressure. And you will be looking at a filter teardown and cleaning.
    5900 gal Oval 17' x 12' x 54" Sharkline Navigator 54 AGP; 1.5 HP Hayward Power-Flo LX Pump; Hayward EC65A DE Filter; AquaComfort XL ACT-750 Heat Pump;
    Hasa 8 gal Liquidator;
    TF-100 Test Kit w/Speedstir

12. Back To Top    #12

I actually looked at my water tonight and it brought a tear to eye. I have always had amazing looking water but I finally feel I have reached the pinnacle of clarity. I am totally sold on cellulose.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

13. Back To Top    #13

Can someone explain the not biodegradable comment, since DE is made / harvested from natural deposits?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

14. Back To Top    #14

Being made from the fossilized remains of some sort of algae, it has already been around for a while without degrading.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

15. Back To Top    #15

The beauty and variety of diatoms in their natural state was one of the reasons I got interested enough to take Microbiology as a degree. Their cell walls are made of silicon dioxide, very resistant to breakdown and perfect for fossilization. Pool DE is probably harvested from deposits that have been there for millions of years.
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit