trouble with chlorine testing. . .

Aug 3, 2015
Huntsville, TX
Hi everyone, I have a Taylor commercial pool testing kit (not sure of the number). Lately every time I test for chlorine levels, my test sample turns a milky pink color that doesn't come close to matching any of the colors on the comparator. It seems like my sample gets way too cloudy as soon as I drop the r-0001 dpd reagent into the water. I have tried another Taylor kit with the same result, however the OTO residential kit that I tried seems to do just fine. . . Any ideas?

Hi everyone, I have a Taylor commercial pool testing kit (not sure of the number). Lately every time I test for chlorine levels, my test sample turns a milky pink color that doesn't come close to matching any of the colors on the comparator. It seems like my sample gets way too cloudy as soon as I drop the r-0001 dpd reagent into the water. I have tried another Taylor kit with the same result, however the OTO residential kit that I tried seems to do just fine. . . Any ideas?
Hello and Welcome.

How old are the reagents (test chemicals)?

Edit:
Also, can you post results from your testing (FC, CC, pH, CYA, TA & CH)?

Dom

Yeah, I know the OTO test is terrible. It was a temporary bridge. . . My pool guy suggested that I have a trouble with TDS. . .
Your #1 problem is that you don't know what your pool may really need. I'm sure it's a tiresome read around here, but you absolutely need a proper test kit to manage a pool correctly, especially one of your scale.

Here are some questions that may prove helpful in this thread:

How are you managing the FC (free chlorine) level right now?

Can an you give us an approx CYA content based on the last known measurement, plus the amount you added (current/target)?

What does the water look like in a glass?

Was it absoluly clear in the test vial before adding reagent?

I have no experience with TDS, I've never had to worry about them before.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.