Cartridge Filter suggestions

schrody

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Considering making the switch to a cartridge filter and my search through the forum did not find good recommendations. A wise man has suggested around 320 ft2 for my pool size so I'm looking at the following:

1) Hayward SwimClear Quad Cluster C3025 (approx. $450)
2) Jandy CL340 ($530)
3) Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 ($495)

I can't find anything cheaper unless I go smaller. Anyone have any strong feelings for/against these? Have other suggestions?

I'm not saying your wiseman is wrong... only chiming in.

I have a Clearwater 150 sf cartrige filter, and my pool holds 13,500 gal.

I clean it 2, maybe 3 times a season, I have a 2 speed pump. I run my pump on low 24/7. I only know cartridges, never had anything else.

A larger filter is better for a number of reasons, but all of them are convenience/non-critical reasons. Larger filters have less resistance to flow, so the pump moves more water. Filters filter better the further below their design flow rate you are. A larger filter has a higher design flow rate, so it will filter better. You don't need to backwash/clean a larger filter as often. The only real disadvantages are the price and the amount of space they take up.

As for which of the three to go with, they're all practically identical. Jandy is at least nice enough to put a handle on top of theirs. I'd base the decision on the price of replacement filters and which one matches the color of your existing equipment best :-D

That's the kind of advice I like to hear! I hadn't run across Clearwater in my searches but a 150 sq.ft. looks to be around 420.

I think the Hayward SwimClear 2025 (225 sq.ft.) is reasonably priced but curious about other's experience with "quad-cluster" cartridge as it is the only one I see.

If I don't need 320 sq.ft. then my search opens up quite a bit wider because I can consider the Jandy CS line (cheaper than CL), Pentair Clean & Clear, and possibly Hayward Star-Clear (not quad-cluster).

Just noticed JasonLion chimed in and I would have to say space shouldn't be an issue as I'd be replacing a fairly large sand filter. The biggest disadvantage for me would be the cost of the bigger filters. I guess I'm looking for a happy middle-ground between cost and a good size. Also interested in feedback among the different brands.

As always, thanks for the help!

I have the Jandy CL340 (about 6 years old now) for my 16,000 gallon pool and it has 4 cartridges in it. I only have to clean it once a year (even then, there's no noticeable PSI rise, though the filter is clearly dirty when I clean it), but I have an opaque electric safety cover so the pool stays relatively clean. Nevertheless, cedar needles and suntan lotion do seem to make their way to the filter and appear to be the bulk of what gets filtered.

I will say that cleaning the filters is a bit of a project. To make things easier, I suggest you have some sort of water drain or assembly near the drain plug so that draining the filter doesn't become a mess. Loosening the bracket with a wrench takes some time (lots of turns) and the cover isn't light, though is mangaeable. 4 filters takes a while to hose off and then soak. Then you have to re-lube the O ring, rescrew, and make sure it doesn't leak. I'm really, really glad I only have to do it once a year, but then I'm pretty lazy when it comes to physical labor (and I'm making this sound a lot worse than it actually is).

I'm thinking of finally replacing the cartridges this year since they are 6 years old. They still seem to be working fine and only a few of the straps have come undone, but not to the point where the cartridge material isn't holding together. It's my way of supporting the economy. :)

Richard

What I meant to imply in the other post was that you probably don't need larger than 320 sqft. Scaling your pool by mine, you could go down to a 225 sqft but if you get a lot of stuff in the pool year around, then I would suggest going with the 320. If you decide on the 225 sqft, keep in mind what a smaller filter really means.

1) Cleaning cycles. Personally, I wouldn't want to clean my filter more than once every 6 months of run time. I keep my pool open all year so that means about 2 cleanings per year although I could let it go for 12 months and just do one per year.

2) Maximum flow rates. You shouldn't exceed 80 GPM for a 320, 60 GPM for 225 & 40 GPM for a 150 to maintain optimal filtering.

3) Cartridge costs. Larger filters have more elements and are more costly to replace but I suspect that you would end up replacing a smaller filter's elements more often because they will be cleaned more often. Flow rate per sqft of filter and cleaning cycle will be the primary factors for the life of a filter.

The last thing you want is a filter that is too small which is why I suggested the 320.

One other consideration...4 cart 'monsters' are a pain in the asterisk to clean, while single cart filters are not that big a chore. Do consider that before making a final decision.

waterbear said:
One other consideration...4 cart 'monsters' are a pain in the asterisk to clean, while single cart filters are not that big a chore. Do consider that before making a final decision.

I guess it is all in your point of view. I have one of those 4 cart monsters but I don't think it's really a pain to clean. It may take close to 4 times as long to clean as a single cart than a 4 cart but it really isn't that bad.

However, on average, a single cartridge will need to be cleaned 4 times as often as a 4 cartridge filter, assuming a 1:4 ratio in sqft. So when you factor in the disassemble time and that either way it is as messy job, I would prefer to do the cleaning less often and have it take longer to do than to clean more often and have it take a shorter time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, IMHO, a one cart system should be cleaned monthly during pool season and a 4 cart one every 3 months and ALL carts need to be soaked yearly. Do the math. :wink:
(Then again, remember I am the guy who does not believe in backwashing or bumping DE filters for rather sound reasons but says they should be broken down to clean!)

waterbear said:
Well, IMHO, a one cart system should be cleaned monthly during pool season and a 4 cart one every 3 months and ALL carts need to be soaked yearly. Do the math. :wink: Just remember that all the water in your pool keeps going through that dirty cart!
(Then again, remember I am the guy who does not believe in backwashing or bumping DE filters for rather sound reasons but says they should be broken down to clean!)

Also, the way most carts are sized these days it can take a long time before you get an 8 psi filter pressure rise. My pool can run for six months and only get a 2 psi rise in pressure! (I know this because I tried it, but when I went to clean the cart it became a MAJOR chore. Much easier to clean the cart more often. It goes MUCH faster.)

waterbear said:
Well, IMHO, a one cart system should be cleaned monthly during pool season and a 4 cart one every 3 months and ALL carts need to be soaked yearly. Do the math. :wink:

I've done the math and it works out quite well for me cleaning every 6 months. Our criteria seem to be different. I see no need to clean more often than the filter really needs it.

It's be going on three years now cleaning every 6 months (no closing) and I have been quite happy with the results. Also, I get less than a 1 PSI rise in that 6 months so I see no reason to increase the frequency. The way I figure it, the more often you clean, the more likely you are to damage the filter so why do it if isn't necessary?

We clean our cart once or twice during the season (May-Sep) and then at closing. I can only tell it needs cleaning because the heater won't work. I never see a rise on the pressure gage from the filter being dirty. Until last year I never bothered "soaking" the filter, we just hosed it off. We're on our second filter, this will be our 8th season. I believe I paid somewhere between $135-150 for the replacement cart. Works for me! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.