Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any harm in keeping your chlorine higher then need for your CYA level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any harm in keeping your chlorine higher then need for your CYA level?

My Chlorine is between 25-30 so I know I only need to keep my chlorine at a 4, but a couple of weeks ago I had algae, which I DONT want again (and I really didn't think my chorine level was down). We are having a few events the next couple of weeks, so I want my pool in pristine condition. Is there any harm in always keeping my pool chlorine level at 6? I don't mind "wasting bleach" so besides that is there any harm in aiming high?
    5,700 gallon, Carribean Isle 15x52 Round Above Pool.
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any harm in keeping your chlorine higher then need for your CYA level?

Hello. Definitely will need your other test numbers. Specifically your CYA. But I am curious as to the answer to your question too about keeping FC higher then "needed".
    24' AG (still learning details)
    1.5hp pump
    Clear Water High Rate Sand Filter 22"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is there any harm in keeping your chlorine higher then need for your CYA level?

I think in your opening statement you meant to say your "CYA" is between 25-30 right? But basically, if you're wondering about maintaining FC at 2-3 ppm higher than your target, based on your current CYA, that's fine. Actually that can be a good proactive measure that won't hurt a thing, especially in areas with lots of sun or pool activity.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's no problem as long as it's below slam level. I usually keep mine a couple ppm above what it needs to be just for safety's sake in case I don't get out to check it.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I apologize I meant my CYA is between 25-30. Thank you. Good, I am going to keep it a little higher, I feel "safer" that way!
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

6. Back To Top    #6

It won't hurt the pool any, but it may get rough on swimsuits.

Fear of overstabilization is good, but I'd raise the CYA closer to 40. It's easier to read it and it will provide extra buffering and more sun protection. A couple 8 oz trichlor pucks in a floater will do the trick, if you have any laying around.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Great thanks, I am going on vacation in 2 weeks so I plan on using the pucks when I am away, so didn't want to raise CYA, and then have the pucks raise it more when I am away
    Cartridge Filter.
    Installed Fall, 2014.
    North New Jersey
    Using the TF100 test

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by marianegs View Post
    Great thanks, I am going on vacation in 2 weeks so I plan on using the pucks when I am away, so didn't want to raise CYA, and then have the pucks raise it more when I am away
    Perfect!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!