Too much Bleach?

Welcome! :wave:

60 oz 8.25% in 7250 gallons works out to 5.5 FC loss per day.

That is excessive.

Two things consume FC: sunlight and organics. If the pool is in full sun and your CYA level is too low, that could account for it. If you have the entire neighborhood swimming in your pool every day, that could also do it. The worst scenario is that the organics in question is Algae.

It's important to know all the test results and where they came from as well as what the water looks like (crystal, clear, murky, cloudy, green, etc.) and how many people are using it every day.

Water is crystal clear, only I swim in it every few days, according to pool calc my cya is in range, as are all my test results.
Only using 8.25 bleach for all my chlorine needs
Your CYA may be in range, but I think what Richard is getting at is your CYA may be a little low based on the FC ppm loss per day. What is your CYA?

Have you performed an OCLT to see if you are losing FC overnight? Because if so, a SLAM would be in order.

Oh my goodness, i apologize... I now see that my earlier message didnt post for some reason. Cya is 40-50. It fluctuates a bit. Sorry i didnt notice it didnt post before

Also posted FC between 3-5
T100 test kit
With a CYA of 50ppm (always round up) you are letting your FC drop too low @ 3ppm. Your target should be 6ppm. Staying at or below the recommended minimum is an invitation for an algae party.

It would be in your best interests to perform an OCLT to rule out organic material (algae) consuming your FC.

Dom

That may be true But in my experience having a higher fc didnt have any effect on the amount of daily loss. I had it at 6 before and if i didnt add half a gallon a day it would drop all the way down to 1-2. Im trying to keep it at 4-5, but my reason for being here is help on why its using so much bleach daily if in fact it is (which has already been stated)

So why am i having to use so much bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure, then it falls back to the basics as highlighted by Richard above. Sun or organics. The OLCT will rule-out organics (if you pass), so that leaves the sun (CYA). When performing the OLCT, remember that if must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Staring FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

And if its sun?
With 50 CYA, that's unlikely.

My guess is that you consistently let FC drop too low and algae took hold. Right now you're at a stalemate, but as you can see by the increased chlorine consumption, it's getting harder to maintain your advantage. The overnight loss test will confirm or deny it. The algae can be lurking behind ights or ladders or steps or even inside the skimmer throat where it's not easy to see or brush.

Is it really neccesary to raise fc that high? I mean practically just to test for organics wouldnt it be acceptable to monitor loss overnight with it between 3 to 5

- - - Updated - - -

And by that i mean if i test it tonight and its 3, and i test it in the am and its still 3, then that would rule out the loss right? But if its less then 2 then a more thorough test would be neccessary?

Is it really neccesary to raise fc that high? I mean practically just to test for organics wouldnt it be acceptable to monitor loss overnight with it between 3 to 5
losing 1 ppm at 10 FC is a 10% loss, which is barely acceptable. Losing 1 ppm at 3 FC is 33% which is extreme. Yet, some people would call that a pass. If you had that same water at 10 FC and lost 33%, you'd show a huge loss in PPM and would know something was wrong.

3-5ppm would not be an acceptable maintenance level for your CYA, let alone an OCLT.

I think Richard320 explained our reasoning for the elevated FC level.

Dom

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.