Concrete sidewalk issue?

shingo

Aug 3, 2015
Blainville/QC
Hi, I have an inground pool under construction, the contractor told me the sidewalk finish is normal.

I do not believe it meet industry standard, because I believe we shouldn't see all these trowel mark.

should I fight this with the contractor?

p6242.jpg

2qvtklc.jpg

While I don't like that effect, I have seen concrete finished that way.
Broom finish is what you should have expected or at least requested.

I kind of like the troweled finish, with some concrete stain applied for color, it would be gorgeous.

Good news, they admited the finish is sub par and they are proposing to sand the whole thing with a diamond blade.

Do you think it's a good idea, if they go that route, what do I have to check for, I guess they have to seal it after they are done? Do they have to apply something so that it's not slippery when wet?

Sanding the concrete with a diamond blade is perfectly fine and will probably expose some aggragate, which IMO is quite attractive. I like the look of lightly exposed aggragate.

Sealing the concrete is no a requirement for any PB if he did not include it in his original bid. If he did not include sealing, then Im sure he will charge you for it.
Sealing is an easy DIY though, just roll it on with a paint roller and save yourself some money.

However to mention, sealer will make the water bead up, and the concrete will become more slippery.

Good news, they admited the finish is sub par and they are proposing to sand the whole thing with a diamond blade.

Do you think it's a good idea, if they go that route, what do I have to check for, I guess they have to seal it after they are done? Do they have to apply something so that it's not slippery when wet?

Be careful what you ask for!!! Before you agree to anything I would ask for a picture of what it is going to look like so you know what you are getting. I kind of like the troweled look and don't like the lightly exposed aggregate look. As you can see others here disagree. I'm not saying I'm correct what I'm saying is you need a fairly specific idea of what the final product will look like before you agree to it.

gwegan makes an excellent point. Not everyone likes the same thing.
Ask the PB for a pic if he has one is a great idea

There are also some good YouTube videos of grinding concrete floors... There are varous degrees of grinding concrete too as well as methods.
So, it is important to find out all the info you can about it and what the expectation is.

Me, I will take sugar and creme in my coffee please!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.