Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete sidewalk issue?

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete sidewalk issue?

Hi, I have an inground pool under construction, the contractor told me the sidewalk finish is normal.

I do not believe it meet industry standard, because I believe we shouldn't see all these trowel mark.

should I fight this with the contractor?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete sidewalk issue?

While I don't like that effect, I have seen concrete finished that way.
    Broom finish is what you should have expected or at least requested.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    While I don't like that effect, I have seen concrete finished that way.
    Broom finish is what you should have expected or at least requested.
    I didn't know there was other type than broom finish for pool concrete sidewalk.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there a way to redo the finish without removing everything?

Maybe an epoxy or something like that?

5. Back To Top    #5

You could possibly have something like Kool Deck applied.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I kind of like the troweled finish, with some concrete stain applied for color, it would be gorgeous.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Good news, they admited the finish is sub par and they are proposing to sand the whole thing with a diamond blade.

Do you think it's a good idea, if they go that route, what do I have to check for, I guess they have to seal it after they are done? Do they have to apply something so that it's not slippery when wet?

8. Back To Top    #8

Sanding the concrete with a diamond blade is perfectly fine and will probably expose some aggragate, which IMO is quite attractive. I like the look of lightly exposed aggragate.

Sealing the concrete is no a requirement for any PB if he did not include it in his original bid. If he did not include sealing, then Im sure he will charge you for it.
    Sealing is an easy DIY though, just roll it on with a paint roller and save yourself some money.

However to mention, sealer will make the water bead up, and the concrete will become more slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by shingo View Post
    Good news, they admited the finish is sub par and they are proposing to sand the whole thing with a diamond blade.

Do you think it's a good idea, if they go that route, what do I have to check for, I guess they have to seal it after they are done? Do they have to apply something so that it's not slippery when wet?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Be careful what you ask for!!! Before you agree to anything I would ask for a picture of what it is going to look like so you know what you are getting. I kind of like the troweled look and don't like the lightly exposed aggregate look. As you can see others here disagree. I'm not saying I'm correct what I'm saying is you need a fairly specific idea of what the final product will look like before you agree to it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

gwegan makes an excellent point. Not everyone likes the same thing.
    Ask the PB for a pic if he has one is a great idea

There are also some good YouTube videos of grinding concrete floors... There are varous degrees of grinding concrete too as well as methods.
    So, it is important to find out all the info you can about it and what the expectation is.

Me, I will take sugar and creme in my coffee please!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!