PH - Alkalinity Question

Mojin7

Jul 14, 2015
Coventry, CT
So... 3 full weeks into my first pool and everything seems to be going great thanks to all the help from you folks. Just learning some final tweaks for peace of mind really. Any help would be appreciated.

After week one I had these results from testing
FC goes down to about 4 and I bring it up to 7.5 or 8 every day. LOTS of sun on my pool.
CC 0
PH 7.8 +maybe
Alkilinity 120
CH 140
CYA ~ 50 or 60

So I added Muriatic Acid to bring down the PH. Tested again the same day. Changes were:
PH went from 7.8+ to 7.3
Alk went from 120 to 90 or 100

I left well enough alone.
After week 2...
FC good
CC 0
PH 7.5
ALK 100
CH 140
CYA ~55

Things looked pretty good. I noted a slight rise in PH.

After week 3 (yesterday)...
FC Good. Seems to steadily lose up to 4ppm daily depending on sun. I noticed on very cloudy days I lose less. As little as 2ppm a couple times.
CC 0
PH 7.7 another rise
ALK 100
CH 140
CYA ~55

So now Im wondering... PH is rising without a rise in Alk. .2 per week I am noting. Time for more acid I think. But from what I read my Alk should be between 90 and 120. If I use more acid, it seems I will drop below that 90 mark. (is that ok?) And if this keeps on?

On the pool return I have, there is nothing on the inside of the pool. Meaning that the return shoots straight into the pool 6" or so below the water line. There is nothing there for me to turn and make the water shoot lower. So... is it possible that the return ripples are aerating the water? Causing PH to rise? Is doesn't splash or bubble really but I do see rippling out for several feet from the return.

I'm looking to solve this before I add more acid because from what I read in pool school this seems like "aeration" causing this. But Im also 3 weeks into pool ownership. Any thoughts?

Yes, it is fine for TA to drop lower if that is where it ends up, down to 60 would be OK. Adding a little acid every few weeks to lower PH slightly is normal. Over time that will lower your TA and your PH and TA could reach equilibrium and remain stable. Or you might have to add a little acid every few weeks. Because your TA is in range just maintain PH between 7.5 and 7.8. Let TA end up wherever it wants to be.

So... 3 full weeks into my first pool and everything seems to be going great thanks to all the help from you folks. Just learning some final tweaks for peace of mind really. Any help would be appreciated.

After week one I had these results from testing
FC goes down to about 4 and I bring it up to 7.5 or 8 every day. LOTS of sun on my pool.
CC 0
PH 7.8 +maybe
Alkilinity 120
CH 140
CYA ~ 50 or 60
Don't let your FC drop to 4ppm, especially if you are above CYA of 50ppm. If you are getting "between 50-60" on the CYA test it would be best to go with a CYA of 60ppm & maintain a target of no less than 7ppm.

Letting your FC drop to the minimum of your CYA range is asking for algae trouble.

Dom

Yes, it is fine for TA to drop lower if that is where it ends up, down to 60 would be OK. Adding a little acid every few weeks to lower PH slightly is normal. Over time that will lower your TA and your PH and TA could reach equilibrium and remain stable. Or you might have to add a little acid every few weeks. Because your TA is in range just maintain PH between 7.5 and 7.8. Let TA end up wherever it wants to be.

Ok Thanks. So if this keeps going at this rate though, you think if my TA gets down to 60 I should start getting concerned maybe? Otherwise you are saying to just see if it stabilizes itself? Just concerned that Ill be dropping out of the "main stream" range I keep reading of 80 to 120 or 90 to 120. Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't let your FC drop to 4ppm, especially if you are above CYA of 50ppm. If you are getting "between 50-60" on the CYA test it would be best to go with a CYA of 60ppm & maintain a target of no less than 7ppm.

Letting your FC drop to the minimum of your CYA range is asking for algae trouble.

Dom
\

Do you think it would be better to bring it up to 8.5 daily so my low is closer to 4.5? I guess I haven't been super concerned because my pool gets almost nothing in it.

Every night after dinner I bump the pool to 10ppm.

Next day when I get home from work the FC is 6.5-7.5ppm.

Lowest I've seen it so far is 5.5ppm

Dom

Same here...with a CYA of 60, I get nervous when FC gets to 5ish and I even have a SWG. At least once a week after a lot of sun or bather load, I'm still supplementing with liquid bleach to be safe. I don't want to go through another SLAM :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.