Aug 3, 2015
Memphis TN
We just purchased a foreclosure to rehab, and it has a great, but really nasty, pool. I've been working on it for about 2 weeks, and the family is now begging me to call in a pool company and just rip out the liner. So, I thought I would register here, tell my story, and see if I can get anywhere. Pool is about 35000 gallons, vinyl, 1 HP pump, sand filter. Under some trees, and I imagine the pool hasn't been used since last summer (if even then). No cover, so at least one winter full of junk. My undergrad degree is in Chemistry, so the treating doesn't intimidate me at all. I dumped a dozen boxes of borax in, brought the pH back to 7.6 with muriatic acid. I've kept the chlorine at 5-10 ppm for several days (using both bleach and some tri-chloro granules, but mostly bleach). TA is currently at 120. Now, to the leaves. I have both a leaf rake and one of the water-powered nets. I've FILLED a 90-gallon waste container full of leaves. Every time I think I have all the solids out, I pull out more. Not a bunch more, but honestly I haven't been able to see the bottom (not even shallow), so I can't really tell how much progress I've made and how much farther I have to go. Bottom line, I've kept the chemicals right, been shocking for 2 weeks and still green and murky. All advice welcome! Pics attached--the one of the water is fuzzy but the color of the water is accurate. Also, curious why the foam when I run the filter? I've read on this forum about metal in the water--this is municipal water from Memphis, reputedly some of the best in the world. Finally, a pic of my filter--anyone know if that cap comes off in order to replace the sand?

Attachments

• 20150803_074936.jpg
    20150803_074936.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20150803_075000.jpg
    20150803_075000.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20150803_075030.jpg
    20150803_075030.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 156
Hello and welcome! Woooooo! That's a good one. You have your work cut-out for you, but we'll help. Take LOTS of pics as this mess goes from grey/black to blue. These are fun to watch. So first let me emphasize our important pages:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Please note the CYA/Chlorine Chart. It's critical when doing a "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain which is exactly what you need to do to clear that water. DO you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit? If not, the link above or in my sig will get you there. You MUST have one or the other to read FC at the higher levels required. 5-10 won't cut it.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

We're thrilled to have you with us, and can't wait to see the transformation.

Welcome to TFP!

Pool is a little dirty! :)

Here is a tutorial on sand filters. No real reason to replace sand unless the sand is glued together by floc or other pool store potions. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Ummmm, so...despite my gut instinct one of my neighbors said he used flocculant after all I'd been through and it was the magic touch. So after 7 days of getting nowhere I did in fact do one treatment of floc. How much does it take to "glue" up the sand?

Quite a bit more than one. You shouldn't be in too much trouble! :)
Thanks so much for the advice on the filter. Here is a pic of the return water (I submerged a mason jar and captured some water, not very accurate but should be a start) which looks very cloudy. The filter starts at about 12 psi each time, and I backwash when it gets above 15. Is the return water supposed to be this cloudy when SLAMing pool?

- - - Updated - - -

Got the K-2006 on order, will arrive tomorrow so I will have more accurate numbers. My main concern now is the filter--it looks like it is returning cloudy water and I am not sure if this is normal during the SLAM?

Attachments

• 20150804_101619.jpg
    20150804_101619.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 132
Looking back at the first post, what was the thought behind the dozen boxes of borax, followed by muriatic acid?
I knew I wanted to try the non-poolstore method of chemical treatment and I read that borax is a great way to run the pH up and though they aren't allowed to market it as such, also has some algecidal effects. Then I used muriatic to bring it back to normal pH.

Hello and welcome! Woooooo! That's a good one. You have your work cut-out for you, but we'll help. Take LOTS of pics as this mess goes from grey/black to blue. These are fun to watch. So first let me emphasize our important pages:
Poolmath calculator
TFTestkits.net

Please note the CYA/Chlorine Chart. It's critical when doing a "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain which is exactly what you need to do to clear that water. DO you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit? If not, the link above or in my sig will get you there. You MUST have one or the other to read FC at the higher levels required. 5-10 won't cut it.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Okay, I now have a test kit. CYA was at 60 so I ran my FC levels up to 24 ppm last night. pH was 7.8 so I added a bit of muriatic acid. Combined chlorine is at 2 ppm, TA was 90. At this level of greeny-murkiness, about how many days until I see some clearing?

- - - Updated - - -

Poolmath calculator
TFTestkits.net

Okay, I now have a test kit. CYA was at 60 so I ran my FC levels up to 24 ppm last night. pH was 7.8 so I added a bit of muriatic acid. Combined chlorine is at 2 ppm, TA was 90. At this level of greeny-murkiness, about how many days until I see some clearing?

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're on the right path.

Are you able to run the pump 24/7?

That will help clear it up faster.

Keep that shock level up and make sure it doesn't drift down to minimum for the duration of the slam.

You should begin to see improvements every few days once all of the muck on the bottom is completely cleared out.

There was a recent pool cleanup effort where everything was being done correctly but the water just wouldn't
clear because of the amount of sediment. I believe he used Alum type of floc? (others here probably now exactly what it was)
but that should be a last resort if it doesn't look much clearer in the next 1-2 weeks.

Get thee to Costco or Sam's Club and stock up on some bleach. Regular old 8.25% household bleach (no scents, no special types) or find a source for liquid chlorine at a higher percentage and start using that in your SLAM. Buy a lot....it always takes the most at first then levels off and reduces as the SLAM starts working. Keep your FC up at the correct level for your CYA of 60 (which is 24ppm of FC) and test as often as you can to maintain it at that level. The more often you test (even hourly) the faster this process will go.

OH goody! I thought we had cleared all of the pools for the Spring/summer. I did not think of buying new pools with houses!

We can/will get your pool clear. It will take some time and LOTS of bleach.

Don't bother testing your PH when your FC is over 10. High FC will mess up the PH test.

Right now all you want to test is the FC. You do need to go ahead and order more test stuff as the Taylor 2006 will not have enough for a SLAM. You can look in my siggy to find where to order it from. Here is a link

TFTestkits.net

Here is my input................take a pic of your steps looking down. Take the same pic every day and post it. THAT is the best way to see the improvement each day. Your eyes will not see it when just looking at the water. BUT with the pics you will be able to see the colors change.

I will have to find Swampwoman's thread so you can show it to the family. She had a pool service and spent major $$ and time. They could not clear her pool! It was not until she found TFP that she was able to clear it on her own with the test kit and bleach!

FOUND it!!!!!

Foreclosure swamp and errant pool service?

This thread alone should show you what we can help you do!

Kim

OH goody! I thought we had cleared all of the pools for the Spring/summer. I did not think of buying new pools with houses!

We can/will get your pool clear. It will take some time and LOTS of bleach.

Don't bother testing your PH when your FC is over 10. High FC will mess up the PH test.

Right now all you want to test is the FC. You do need to go ahead and order more test stuff as the Taylor 2006 will not have enough for a SLAM. You can look in my siggy to find where to order it from. Here is a link

TFTestkits.net

Here is my input................take a pic of your steps looking down. Take the same pic every day and post it. THAT is the best way to see the improvement each day. Your eyes will not see it when just looking at the water. BUT with the pics you will be able to see the colors change.

I will have to find Swampwoman's thread so you can show it to the family. She had a pool service and spent major $$ and time. They could not clear her pool! It was not until she found TFP that she was able to clear it on her own with the test kit and bleach!

FOUND it!!!!!

Foreclosure swamp and errant pool service?

This thread alone should show you what we can help you do!

Kim

Thanks so much, this was a painful but ENCOURAGING post to see how transitions can happen. To answer some of the questions, yes, I am running filter 24/7. I've not put DE in yet, but I want to....looks like I should wait a bit. I did do a deep clean of the sand per the videos posted on this thread. We are constantly vacuuming--this is honestly the most frustrating part. I have the leaf catcher that hooks up to a water hose, a leaf rake, and a vacuum. One of my big issues is that there are 2 pines in the back yard and those stinking needles are tough to get. But, as of now, the water is still too cloudy for me to see where I need to be vacuuming. I am adding 8.25% bleach daily to keep the FC levels at 24. Also did a long waste tonight to get some water out and refilled with fresh in order to bring the CYA levels down a bit.

This marks one week of keeping FC levels at a minimum of 24. I think the water may be improving but I'm not sure. I am going to add DE to my sand today, and try the slime bags. Pics of water yesterday and today.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I can't add today's photo because I've exceeded my photo quota...

Attachments

• 20150810_102342.jpg
    20150810_102342.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 62

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.