LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK my FC was 7.5, CC .5 and CYA was 60 (it was 50 until my wife dumped a bunch of shock in Friday night.. Glad I tested it again before I started yesterday)

Started around 1pm.. CYA guide said I need FC to be 24 which for me was 2.9 121oz bottles.

Brushed the algae down.. Checked filter.. All seemed good.

Around 7pm I checked it again and FC was 21 so I added about half a jug of chlorine.

This morning around 7 I went to check in pool and the algae was winning again. :( FC was down to 15 so I put one and a half bottles of bleach.. Bushed it down and noticed the filter pressure was up about 5psi so I backwashed it back to normal levels.

Checked it again about an a hour later and the FC is showing 28!

Please critique my first SLAM and let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

How soon after adding bleach should you retest FC?

Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Simple. Test more often. Max between tests at the start should be 2 hours. 1 hour would better. Keep that up until no drop between tests. Then you can start to stretch time between tests. The more often you test, the faster the SLAM seem to go. Brush, vac, make sure all debris is removed.

how soon after adding bleach should i test? 1 hour?

yeah i mistakenly believed since it only dropped 3 ppm from 24-21 after 5-6 hours I would be ok overnight but clearly the rate of decline is greater.

i guess it makes sense 3ppm loss per 4 hours, or 9ppm lost after 12 hours which would make sense why it was 15 this morning.

duh.

as for the amount needed in your pool...if the chart shows 24 should i aim higher than that so after 3 hours even after the expected loss it will still be at least 24?

You can test FC 30 minutes after adding it. The goal is to keep you FC at or just slightly above your SLAM target for the duration (Maintain). The key is testing and adding FC as often as possible, which is easier said than done. It is fine to go a few PPM above target, but not too high. Just know that dropping below the target for a short time isn't going to render the SLAM useless, but instead just extend it. Obviously, we all want to get back in the sparkly pool asap so I know generally go 2-3 ppm above the target when I slam at 40 CYA.

Also testing 15 and 30 minutes after adding will validate your pool size and/or chlorine percentage of your bleach. Did FC end up more or less where you/poolmath expected it to?

well i dont know..at 28 after pretty much adding exactly what the chart said, my pool size must not be accurate..i've overmeasured i think; maybe its closer to 14k gallons and not 14.8k

my pool has those 'angled' edges so i'm not positive the dimensions are correct.

that also could explain the differences in the FC lost overnight..i didnt test it yesterday after i put all that bleach in until 4-5 hours later so it could very well have been over 24 then.

i'll have my wife go test it in a few minutes and see where the numbers are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.