Air bubbles in pump basket when valve is on skimmer

Sep 23, 2014
stoughton, ma
Hi

Got a problem with air bubbles in the pump basket when I have my Jandy 3 way valve set to skimmer. I have two suctions, the skimmer and one port in the deep end, then a return jet by the stairs in the low end. When I set the valve to close skimmer 100% the air bubbles in the basket disappear, which tells me no air leak in that pipe run. When I set the valve back to the middle position which has both suction pipes 100% open, I get the air bubbles back. When I set valve to skimmer 100% and deep end suction closed I get alot of air bubbles.

So I believe I have a leak in the pipes going to the skimmer. I tries running water over each connection to see if it would make the bubbles disappear, no luck. Then I temporarily used self fusing pipe tape on each connection, one at a time, to see if I could see where the leak is but could not find it. Not sure where to look next. Could it be the Jandy valve?

Thank you in advance for any help.

The valve is a possibility and probably easiest to work on when considering the effort to get to your skimmer plumbing - especially if it's under concrete. The fact that you have a 3-way valve managing two suction lines certainly helped you with the process of elimination. Just in case though, make sure you exhaust everything on the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks. Good luck.

I dont think its the valve because when I close the skimmer pipe and have suction from the vacuum port only the bubbles disappear. Is there some kind of sealant I can use around the joints on each connection that will seal an air leak that close to the pump? I am going to put a shop vac on the skimmer line see if I can blow anything that may be stuck in there out.

I noticed my weir door sometimes sticks when people are in the pool, I propped the door open last night to see if that would make any change but I still had bubbles in the basket. I also topped the pool water level off but that didnt make a difference either.

Not sure where to look next

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.