Jandy Valve-Broken Grease Plug

Aug 3, 2015
Orlando/Florida
This is my first post here...

Several years ago, I replaced the diverters in two of my Gray 3-port Jandy selector valves with the newer "neverlube" type. The replacement kits included black plugs to replace the no-longer-needed Grease Cups. One of these has broken off, and of course I now have a powerful stream of water exiting the side of the valve.

My local pool stores not only do not sell these plugs separately, but their diverter kits no longer include the plug. They are sold on line however, and are described as red 1/8th inch plugs. The remaining plug that I have is black and measures 3/8" in diameter, as does the threaded plug on the Grease Cups. It fits perfectly into my other Jandy valves Grease cup fittings, so I don't understand why the online plugs are described as 1/8th inch.

Rather than pay $7-$10 each for a plastic grease plug that break off, I'd prefer replacing it with a brass plug if I can find one with the same thread...

ANY thoughts regarding the above size difference is greatly appreciated!

Tom

Last edited:
If they are standard pipe thread plugs, they should measure about 3/8", tapered.

Your local hardware store will probably stock the proper plug.

The 1/8" describes the inside diameter of the pipe, so the 3/8"outside diameter takes the pipe wall thickness into account.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.