Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level and SLAM question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA level and SLAM question

Was just looking over the pages detailing how to do it and had a question as to my CYA level. I have a salt water pool and currently my level is low, I was in the process of raising it when my motor broke and everything just went bad. Anyhow should I continue to raise it to 70 as outlined on the Chlorine/CYA chart, or just leave it where it's at and go from there?

When I tested it yesterday it was at 38.
    24k gal, in-ground, vinyl liner, Resilience SCC-25 SWG, 1.5Hp Astral Pool Series 2000 pump, Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA level and SLAM question

If you are going to SLAM. Leave it where it is. Once you complete the SLAM then you will want to raise it. If you raise it before the SLAM then you would need more chlorine to SLAM with.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 600m View Post
    Was just looking over the pages detailing how to do it and had a question as to my CYA level. I have a salt water pool and currently my level is low, I was in the process of raising it when my motor broke and everything just went bad. Anyhow should I continue to raise it to 70 as outlined on the Chlorine/CYA chart, or just leave it where it's at and go from there?

When I tested it yesterday it was at 38.
    How did you get a level of "38"? Which test kit are you using?

More importantly, what's your FC level?

What do you mean by "and everything went bad"? Is the water now cloudy? Green?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    How did you get a level of "38"? Which test kit are you using?

More importantly, what's your FC level?

What do you mean by "and everything went bad"? Is the water now cloudy? Green?

Dom
    I have the LaMotte 2056 kit. My FC level was pretty much 0. The pool wasn't running for close to 2 weeks due to my motor being broken and not running. Then had gone on vacation shortly after getting the new motor hooked up so can call it 3 weeks with 0 FC. It was very green!

But now that I am back from vacation and have done a SLAM it is crystal clear again. I'm very thankful for finding this site and not relying on the pool store to get it back for me. Thank you everyone!
    24k gal, in-ground, vinyl liner, Resilience SCC-25 SWG, 1.5Hp Astral Pool Series 2000 pump, Sand filter