Hey......keep outta my pool!!!

sandyb

Apr 18, 2015
Granada Hills, Ca
Hope this is the right place for this post....

Greetings....
I have kind of a strange dilemma....
I have a vacation / retirement home that is about 150 miles away, so I typically get up to the property only on Friday and Saturday.
I have 3.75 acres with an in ground 25,000 gallon pool. ( 3bd. 3ba. 3750 sq ft 2 story ) un-occupied.
My neighbors are an older couple ( 74 / 73 ) that are the original owners of their home. No pool.
Their home is 40 - 50 yards to my East and the properties are kind of joined, but the area is very rural.
The neighbor has sold and will close escrow any day. I have met the new owners, and as it happened, the neighbor brought the couple over ( 50 / 48 ) to introduce them...we were standing right next to my pool...and she was very enamored with the pool, she is the coach of the local High School swim team.
Therein lies my dilemma...they have a blended family with numerous teens and "their" two small kids.
Summer time temperatures (right now) have been running 105 - 108 degrees daily...a crystal clean blue sky pool might look very inviting.
How do I keep these people out of my pool when I am not there? It is secluded enough that no one would know if they decided to take a skinny dip...and I am maintaining it for my kids and grand kids not someone else. :)

Sandy

Safety cover with a padlock.

You said it is rural. In addition to keeping unwanted people out, it will also keep out unwanted deer, rabbits, etc. A person I know here in town looked out their kitchen window to see their horse wading in their pool. Not sure you would have that problem, but still - safety cover with a lock.

-dave

Problem solved.

L2051.jpg

Hi. I would use a pad lock on the gate (assuming there is one). Use a spell combo type this way you don't have to worry about a key. I'd also get a web cam if you think someone has been in your pool while you're away. The lock should suffice though. FYI, if you have a Mac laptop you can set it on a window inside and use back to my Mac to view the camera remotely too.
-Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious. Is the property fenced?

If it were me, I would look into some true remote monitoring capabilities. Motion sensors (zwave) tied to security lighting and also some good quality security cameras with motion sense/record capability with remote viewing access. The pricing on this kind of technology has come way down over the years and it's capability keeps improving. The Zwave stuff also would let you set up some basic home automation so you could make it look like someone was home and even turn the AC down a couple hours before you get there so the house is comfy.

It's a much more effective phone call to say "hi, I'm looking at your kids right now, could you please have them get out of my pool" as opposed to having to bring it up after the fact that you noticed the kids in your pool last week and could you please keep have them not do that again. The immediacy of real-time surveillance also gives you the option of calling the neighbors and saying "hey I can see there is someone in the pool, could you go check on it" or to just call the sheriff if it is not a self-resolving issue after the first time you talk to them about it.

-plat

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.