Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hey......keep outta my pool!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hey......keep outta my pool!!!

Hope this is the right place for this post....

Greetings....
    I have kind of a strange dilemma....
    I have a vacation / retirement home that is about 150 miles away, so I typically get up to the property only on Friday and Saturday.
    I have 3.75 acres with an in ground 25,000 gallon pool. ( 3bd. 3ba. 3750 sq ft 2 story ) un-occupied.
    My neighbors are an older couple ( 74 / 73 ) that are the original owners of their home. No pool.
    Their home is 40 - 50 yards to my East and the properties are kind of joined, but the area is very rural.
    The neighbor has sold and will close escrow any day. I have met the new owners, and as it happened, the neighbor brought the couple over ( 50 / 48 ) to introduce them...we were standing right next to my pool...and she was very enamored with the pool, she is the coach of the local High School swim team.
    Therein lies my dilemma...they have a blended family with numerous teens and "their" two small kids.
    Summer time temperatures (right now) have been running 105 - 108 degrees daily...a crystal clean blue sky pool might look very inviting.
    How do I keep these people out of my pool when I am not there? It is secluded enough that no one would know if they decided to take a skinny dip...and I am maintaining it for my kids and grand kids not someone else.

Sandy

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hey......keep outta my pool!!!

Post no trespassing signs. Add a motion sense camera you can monitor though the internet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe also get a sign that says "Pool closed, added chemicals". They may not know any better. Oh, and get a couple Doberman Pinchers. Woof!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sharks with laser beams!
    16,661 gal IG PebbleTec w/ Spa; 60 ft2 Jandy DE filter, 2 HP Jandy Variable Speed pump; 2 skimmer; 400K BTU Jandy heater; Polaris Sport; opened 9/15/14; TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Safety cover
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Safety cover with a padlock.

You said it is rural. In addition to keeping unwanted people out, it will also keep out unwanted deer, rabbits, etc. A person I know here in town looked out their kitchen window to see their horse wading in their pool. Not sure you would have that problem, but still - safety cover with a lock.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Problem solved.

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi. I would use a pad lock on the gate (assuming there is one). Use a spell combo type this way you don't have to worry about a key. I'd also get a web cam if you think someone has been in your pool while you're away. The lock should suffice though. FYI, if you have a Mac laptop you can set it on a window inside and use back to my Mac to view the camera remotely too.
    -Chris

Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

9. Back To Top    #9

Got a couple of Private Property / No Trespassing signs...am considering 4 surveillance cameras ( no internet - onsite ) but a deterrent. I hate change...

Sandy

10. Back To Top    #10

Another thought... deer camera
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

11. Back To Top    #11

Use a Game Cam that sends you a picture via your cell service.

http://bushnell.com/hunting/trail-ca...am-hd-wireless

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

12. Back To Top    #12

Great idea....I will look into the game cam

Sandy

13. Back To Top    #13

Just curious. Is the property fenced?

If it were me, I would look into some true remote monitoring capabilities. Motion sensors (zwave) tied to security lighting and also some good quality security cameras with motion sense/record capability with remote viewing access. The pricing on this kind of technology has come way down over the years and it's capability keeps improving. The Zwave stuff also would let you set up some basic home automation so you could make it look like someone was home and even turn the AC down a couple hours before you get there so the house is comfy.

It's a much more effective phone call to say "hi, I'm looking at your kids right now, could you please have them get out of my pool" as opposed to having to bring it up after the fact that you noticed the kids in your pool last week and could you please keep have them not do that again. The immediacy of real-time surveillance also gives you the option of calling the neighbors and saying "hey I can see there is someone in the pool, could you go check on it" or to just call the sheriff if it is not a self-resolving issue after the first time you talk to them about it.

-plat
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"©
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

14. Back To Top    #14

OR you could make a barter arrangement -- they keep the pool clean and buy the chemicals, have it checked regularly and sign a no fault agreement about accidents/injuries and everyone is happy.... ((:
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit