"waterproof" LED strips around the pool edge?

Apr 16, 2015
Rosenberg/TX
The house we bought at the first of the year was 2 yrs old and the pool was a month or two less than that. All JANDY/Zodiac stuff controlled by iAqualink. One light in the spa and one light in the pool. The iAqualink gave us the choice of colors when we turn those on and the lights are "labeled" in the aqualink menu as "JL". About a month or so ago, the pool light started slowly strobing shortly after you would turn it on. Also, some of the colors don't show up as the color chosen. The light just stays white. I know I have some more troubleshooting to do before I plop down $600-800 for another light engine. But I got to thinking:

There are a number of places that now sell 12v "waterproof" 16ft. LED light strips for $20 or so. Has anyone tried using those around the perimeter of their pools, under the coping? I know that they probably would not last submerged. My coping, stone, overhangs about 3/4"-1" and siliconing these strips there should be a whole lot cheaper and replacing the light engine.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Bill W.

Very doubtful they would be to code and could pose a risk. That is not what they are designed for and the ones I have used are far from waterproof where the wires attach.

The NEC 2014 Section 680 now allows listed low voltage luminaries, in conjunction with listed transformers or supplies, to be located less than 5 feet from the inside edge of the pool. So at some point in the future 12V LED rope lighting might be available, but good luck finding listed components now, if your area has adopted NEC 2014.

You might consider "Fiber Optic Lighting Sideglow cable" (Google that.) It's a passive "lossy" plastic fiber that looks a lot like a flexible neon light. You need a high a power lamp at the end, but that can be located well beyond the pool edge in the safe zone.

This is nothing more than money, think about it.. Salt water generators have 12 volts passing in between electrodes directly in your water. Both positive and negative.. If they can get them passed them why would a 12 volt waterproof strip light near the water with epoxied power wires be any different, it should be safer than a swg... Because no company has spent the money to get them approved. Pentair or someone else will eventually do it, just have to wait... I have some strips now that are ip68 rated, they can be permanently under water

cowboycasey -- Its going to be awhile. The NEC drafters are often accused of being sensitive to money -- but only in the sense that they seem to like new safety equipment pushed by electrical manufacturers -- ie arc fault breakers. They are probably going to look at how this latest change works before they go further.

The drafters clearly see swimming pools as different and are very cautious about changes that would impact the safety of the pool. They want a safe pool even in the event of multiple failures. So adding another electrical source to the pool (another chance for a failure) is not something that is going to be easy.

But I do agree that if the manufactures wanted a specific product then if they are persistent enough they will probably get it.

I'm looking to run these IP65 LED waterproof strip on Ebay around the edge of my swimming pool and water fountain. The wire that supplied 24V power to the strip is going to be a few feet away from the pool. I really don't see a shock danger from doing this. Will post some pictures once my project is done.

I have been looking at those side loss fiber optic cable set ups as that would be a very safe way to add lighting to the pool but they want a mint for a "pool" set up. Going to do some more research on DIY methods. There was another thread recently here that mentioned getting surplus fiber optic cables from utility companies cheap. Then it would be a matter of light source and installation. New pool build: Anyone using waterproof LED light strips?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today, the 2014 version of the National Electrical Code (which has not been adopted everywhere) permits listed low voltage lighting that does not require grounding and is supplied by a pool rated transformer within 5 feet of the pool. None of the LED strip lighting meets those requirements. The waterproofing standard is a equipment protection standard not a life safety standard. None that I have seen is listed.

Moreover, unless its listed by UL or another listing agency for use in a pool the code prohibits its installation in a pool.

So while the stuff may look good it violates current code to install it as pool lighting in your pool no matter what the advertisements for it state. Because its not listed it violates the code to install it within five feet of a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.