Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimmer's ear -- treatment and prevention

1. Back To Top    #1
    Waco TX

Swimmer's ear -- treatment and prevention

Not sure if this is the area to post this question or not.

I've got three kids who have pretty much been in the pool continuously since it was finished about a month ago (that's an exaggeration, of course, they probably are in the water 2-3 hours a day). All of them have been struggling with some degree of swimmer's ear for about the past two weeks.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to prevent/treat this?

I've tried having them shake their heads thoroughly after swimming, rinsing their ears with diluted vinegar, rinsing their ears with peroxide, using grapefruit seed extract ear drops, and using OTC "ear drying drops" (I haven't done all of this at once). None of it really seems to get rid of the problem. The option of "no swimming for a few days" breaks their hearts -- these are kids who have been begging and pleading for a pool for years and now that they've got it they want to use it. Which I understand.

The thing that is odd is that I practically grew up in a swimming pool and have never had a single case of swimmer's ear.

If it matters, here's a run down on my chemistry:
    FC - 7-10
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2-7.8
    TA - 100
    CYA - 60
    CH - 230
    Brand new pool owner -- first day of swimming July 4, 2015! 22,000 gallon custom (14 x 40 rectangle) gunite in-ground pool with Stonescape plaster (Irish Mist). Hayward Pro Series sand filter (S244T2), Hayward TriStar pump (SP3207X10), Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-Cell-15 SWCG with Pro Logic control panel. Taylor K2006-C test kit. Mom to three boys, eight rescue parrots, and two dogs.

2. Back To Top    #2

Chandler AZ

Re: Swimmer's ear -- treatment and prevention

You may want to look into soft moldable silicone earplugs. I believe the big box stores (Wally World and others) carry them. Or Google for: ear plugs for swimming kids
    Saw online that 6 pair (12 plugs) would run 3-5 bucks.
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

a bottle of acidified alcohol works for me. I bought the first bottle at the drug store (Swimmer's Ear) and then just refilled with a 50:50 solution. The vinegar makes the ear canal less hospitable to bacteria/fungus and the alcohol dries the ear.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4

Atlanta, GA

Ear plugs! I bought the rubber type I wore as a child on Amazon and also saw several different types suitable for swimming at Target yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    New Pool Owner (originally built c. 2001)
    6.6 ft x 48 ft/12K Gall/Inground Lap Pool/White Plaster/Gunite
    New Pentair Superflo VS Pump 2.0 HP/Sand Filter
    Maytronics Dolphin 300i Robotic Cleaner and SolarBreeze Robotic Skimmer
    TFT-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I swim daily also. I stick a little paper towel or TP in there, turn my head and shake my ear until it quits sloshing Then I hold my nose and pop my ears to open up the eustachian tubes quite a few times to keep everything open, equalized and airflow. I had tube issues when I was a kid and until I started routinely popping my ears I had a fair amount of ear discomfort. I always thought it was bad to pop your ears but quite the opposite, it is good for them if you have trouble.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Sydney, Australia

I used to do a fair bit of Scuba Diving and suffered on and off with this, I mix up a solution of 50/50 Rubbing Alcohol (IPA) and Hydrogen Peroxide in one of those pipette bottle things, drop in a few drops in each ear after getting out. Its one of those things that easier to prevent than cure but often I'd forget until it hurt...
    In my case it was from the bacteria/algae/nasties etc in the ocean, I guess you wouldn't have this issue in the pool...
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

The bacteria aren't coming from the pool. They are already in your ear. The issue is when the ear gets wet then those bacteria can grow enough, penetrate the skin, and trigger an immune response and you feel pain from that. See what the Mayo Clinic says about swimmer's ear. On their prevention page they state the following:

At-home preventive treatment. If you know you don't have a punctured eardrum, you can use homemade preventive eardrops before and after swimming. A mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 1 part rubbing alcohol may help promote drying and prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi that can cause swimmer's ear. Pour 1 teaspoon (about 5 milliliters) of the solution into each ear and let it drain back out. Similar over-the-counter solutions may be available at your drugstore.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

I noticed my son seems to get swimmer's ear when he swims then goes to bed shortly after, as the water just lays there. Not positive that's what's happening, just a guess.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!