First, I have to say I am NOT affiliated with Hayward at all. In fact, I'm a self admitting newbie to pool ownership.
I recently replaced an old AO Smith / Jandy FloPro single stage 1.5HP with a SuperPump VS 1.5 HP. Hers a few things I learned.
1. This thing sucks. Literally, sucks....a lot....pressure wise! I run mine on low and my zodiac G2 through the adapter and it moves well. On medium, it moves really well. On high, it races around the pool like its hopped up on something illegal.
2. It's quiet. On low, you can't hear it 5 feet away. On medium, it's a little louder, but not too bad. On high, you can still carry on a conversation within 5 feet no problem.
3. On low (just moves the water around) it draws about 50watts. Worth it for a clean pool to run it 24/7
now....it's not without issues. I installed it on a concrete pad. After some new plumbing, everything was fine. Then...a week later, it rained. HARD....2 inches in an hour, which is the kinda thing we get on occasion in PHX. Needless to say, it isn't exactly "weatherproof" out of the box. I got the dreaded Er64 - an internal short code - and said "oh **** my new $700 pump is toast." After tearing all of the wiring apart, and drying it out, still no luck. I let it bake in the AZ sun for 2 days, re-assembled everything, still ER64 ( needless to say, my new neighbors learned some new 4 letter words!)
then it dawns on me. This is an AC motor.....(I do digital motor control for a living, FYI, so this isn't new science to me!) and say "wait dummy, maybe the rotor is stuck in between phases!" Hallelujah....I took the fan cover off, spun the shaft a couple times, and fired her back up. Voila...pump is back in business and running like its brand new.....
so....if you get one, heres some words of advice.
1. Ditch the crummy Allen key screws for the cover to the digital controller. Lowes sells the replacement hex heads, they are 4Mx0.7 pitch metric. I think they are 20 and 25mm long. $1.50, easy fix. You need 2 short and 2 long. The Allen key ones strip easily since they are aluminum, I had to drill one out before the install even started.
2. Silicone is your friend. When installing the cover, run a bead all the way around as extra protection. You want NO entrances for moisture as there are electronics in the box.
3. A 90 degree fitting pointed straight down for the BX cable is a must. Oh, and more silicone wouldn't hurt.
4. Build some sort of cover. I know it's a PITA, but some extra protection can't hurt.
All in all, couldn't be happier. I know there are nay Sayers against VS pumps, but after the $100 rebate from the power company, and the fact I can run it all day long on some of the cheapest electric rates in the country and notice a difference, it just makes sense. In a month I'll work on a spreadsheet to hopefully show the energy savings.
Again just tips from a newbie, hope someone finds it helpful...especially clearing the trouble code.