Need troubleshooting help

Jul 19, 2015
New city, ny
I have algae in my pool for the third time this season. Each time I raise the chlorine level to SLAM level and maintain it until overnight chlorine loss is less than 1.

Each time, after passing the overnight chlorine loss test I let the chlorine drop to target level of 7 but when the chlorine drops to 8 or 9 the algae starts to grow again.

i am clearly doing something wrong. Any ideas?

I have been running the pump/filter for about 6 hrs a day (when NOT slamming, 24hrs/day during SLAMMING) could that cause algae?

FC 18 (goal. To bring it up to 22)
CC 0.5
CYA 55
PH 7.2

thank you

Well, you say you pass OCLT, but what about the other two criteria? CC and is the water clear. The water being clear includes seeking anything "funky" like live/dead algae.

So I had the filter cleaned and it was green! I have also been more careful about brushing the ladder, I believe that May have been part of the problem.

Overnight chlorine loss was zero last night. The problem is that I ran out of r-0871 drops so I can't test the water. Is there some other way I can know when the chlorine is low enough to swim in.

I ordered some more but it won't arrive until thurs and I'm anxious to get the kids back in the pool

thanks

So I had the filter cleaned and it was green! I have also been more careful about brushing the ladder, I believe that May have been part of the problem.

Overnight chlorine loss was zero last night. The problem is that I ran out of r-0871 drops so I can't test the water. Is there some other way I can know when the chlorine is low enough to swim in.

I ordered some more but it won't arrive until thurs and I'm anxious to get the kids back in the pool

thanks
It's safe to swim up to shock level. So if you weren't over shock level this morning, you also won't be when the kids want to get in. Using the chart "Chlorine Usage from UV" in Pool Water Chemistry it's safe to say you'll lose at least 1 ppm per hour FC in direct sunlight until FC gets below 10, when it will start to slow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.